Extra Crispy

Brakes and wheels, what are you guys using?

I bought myself a used bike, and luckily it's in nearly mint condition with a few pebble nicks. Anyway, it's got V-brakes, which are okay for city riding I suppose, or those incredible weight weenie XC riders. I'm into XC, but I don't count the grams.

I'm looking to upgrade my wheels and get some disc brakes, and was wondering what you guys thought? I'm looking at some Mavic Crossrides, which are on clearance at my LBS. The guy there says they're great starter wheels for disc, good bang for buck (even better at their sale price) and they're strong like bull. Strong like bull is good for me I suppose... 6'1 or so, about 225 and dropping. I picked up biking as a hobby again to lose some weight after a poor diet in college and after gaining weight due to a surgery.

I'm considering 180mm front and 160mm rear, but seeing as I've never ridden disc brakes before, I wonder what you guys think? I do some AM stuff for fun, but XC to get in shape. I do a couple miles on pavement to get to my riding spots, and once I'm there, it's quite a bit down hill into the riding areas. I can feel the V's fading as I go downhill, and seeing as I'm riding down a street (no sidewalks), it's a bit dangerous if I can't stop when I need to. About the only disc experience I have is fooling around on bikes in the shop my buddy works in... I'd ask him the same question, but he works there because he's a good BSer, meaning he can sell bikes like he was born to.

Anyway, I'm still in college, so money is somewhat of an issue, so keep that in mind. I don't need $1000 Crank Brothers wheels, but I don't want something that's $120 a set. $300 is about my limit, because I still have to get the disc brake set too.

Also - my Fox manual for my Float fork says nothing over 180mm in the front... does that really mean I can't run a 183 or 185mm rotor? I've seen a lot of rotors that are just a few mm bigger than a 180... I can't imagine that making a difference really, but if I knew, I wouldn't be asking these questions.

Thanks guys. Not sure if you guys would consider me a Clyde or not... I do because I've gained like 30lbs in a year... 15 due to the surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The crossrides are pretty strong from what I've seen. My brother had a set and he's never had to true them, he did have some trouble with the rear hub though, twice (once half way through a 100km race). He's now upgraded to easton Havocs and loves them, he says they're smoother and stiffer. I've got Havocs too (I'm about 220 lbs) and they've been awesome, I'd recomend them if you can strech to the extra cash.

I run 203/180mm rotors on my trail bike and 180/160mm on my cross country bike. 180mm on the front is the minimum for me, it's ok unless it's a long, steep descent. If you ride in the mountains just put on a 203mm and you'll never have to worry about it again. As for the fox manual recomendation............I'd still run bigger rotors, small diferences are insignificant, 5mm for example. I'd still run a 203mm rotor, but that's just me.

Pick up some cheap hayes hfx-9's somewhere and you'll be set.

Paul

Extra Crispy
    I was thinking about the HFX-9's, but the guy at the shop recommended Avids or Shimano... I think he's just a shill. He's a sponsored racer I think.

The HFX-9's caught my eye based on price, but I wonder how they are with modulation and power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I love my HFX-9's, plenty of power, good modulation, and a couple of years of use without even a bleed required. I put in new pads a couple of months ago and they're good as new. I saw them pretty cheap somewhere and considered buying a spare set for when my current ones wear out. I thought better of it since i don't think my current set will wear out for several years.

bomb proof brakes.

mtbr member
    My new bike has Avid BB5 front and rear both 160mm. I may upgrade the front to BB7 203mm in the future with new levers but otherwise the brakes are not too bad for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Funny thing, I'm running shimano Deore centerlock hydros with 160mm front and rear. I'd never really thought about it, the brakes work very well for me. I am a bit concerned about the front brake fading on a long descent for me though.... I'm thinking about upgrading it to a 180mm rotor...

29 some of the time...
    Cool, welcome back to the hobby. What kind of bike did you end up with? Judging by the Fox shock up front it must not be too shabby.

Rotor size:
    Yes 180 or 185mm is fine. There isn't much need to use a 200mm unless you are very heavy or doing a lot of longer descents.

Brakes:
    The guy at the shop is no shill. He is likely trying to help you out. The Nines have limitations. They really don't do well on longer runs or harder braking. You would be better off with Juicy 5, Deore hydraulic, slx, etc. All are more capable brakes without the issues. Sounds like you are taking this venture pretty serious, so get a decent set of brakes. HFX Nines aren't much if any cheaper than the others I listed. Go to ebay, jenson, or pricepoint if you are looking to save money.

Wheelset:
    Unfortunately $300 puts you in no mans land. At that price point the wheelset is either no better or marginally better than a discount $100 wheelset. At least on a factory built wheelset. If that is your budget, then I would recommend looking towards one of the online stores that can build you a set around XT hubs and a good quality rim. Being handbuilt and on a good rim will give the wheelset a lot more durability.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.