Thread: brake issues

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

brake issues

I was out riding this weekend on a trail I'd never been on. I was headed down the hill and put on both front and rear brakes and I still couldn't stop or even come close. I've ordered some avid bb7's to hopefully help me out. Any other Clyde's have this issue?

mtbr member

Re: brake issues

What's your current brake?
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    2011 trek marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have had several different disc brakes XT, BB7, Juicy and I have come to the conclusion that disc brakes SUCK. none of them will stop me as fast as a good set of V-brakes. the local LBS mechanic set them up and said I should get bigger rotors. I have 203's I don't think they get any bigger. I might try a setoff Shimano Saints they are for DH racing and they can hit 60 MPH so I hope those are strong enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

The are some good threads on setting up BB7's in the

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

There is some great info in the Brake Time forum on setting up BB7's. I ran them for about 5 years before switching to Shimano hydro's this year. BB7's are great brakes. Make sure you use quality housing and cables. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They will be here tomorrow. Just the 200 mm rotor up front should help a lot.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinox View Post
    I have had several different disc brakes XT, BB7, Juicy and I have come to the conclusion that disc brakes SUCK. none of them will stop me as fast as a good set of V-brakes. the local LBS mechanic set them up and said I should get bigger rotors. I have 203's I don't think they get any bigger. I might try a setoff Shimano Saints they are for DH racing and they can hit 60 MPH so I hope those are strong enough.
    You have a serious problem with setup or something because all three brakes that you have used are quite good even with 160mm rotors. I am running 180mm rotors on my sram xo trail brakes and I can lock up my brakes at will at any speed. I have ridden 160mm rotors in the past when I was still on 26 inch wheels and for cc I never had a complain with power.

O.P. it could just be a poor setup or contaminated pads that is causing your problem. Pretty much and hydro brakes these days is pretty good. Btw I'm not a fan of bb7 because they ate hard to get 100% setup up right and you have to dial the pads in as they wear
    999.6 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    You have a serious problem with setup or something because all three brakes that you have used are quite good even with 160mm rotors. I am running 180mm rotors on my sram xo trail brakes and I can lock up my brakes at will at any speed. I have ridden 160mm rotors in the past when I was still on 26 inch wheels and for cc I never had a complain with power.

O.P. it could just be a poor setup or contaminated pads that is causing your problem. Pretty much and hydro brakes these days is pretty good. Btw I'm not a fan of bb7 because they ate hard to get 100% setup up right and you have to dial the pads in as they wear
    I don't have hydros, kinda wish i did. I've never been impressed with the brakes, even after they were setup by the LBS when I bought it. I just never realized how bad they were since i had never ridden down any long hills. It was kind of an eye opener.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If the pads are not bedded in, or if they are contaminated in any way, you'll not stop well. Have you checked everything else before spending more money?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    If the pads are not bedded in, or if they are contaminated in any way, you'll not stop well. Have you checked everything else before spending more money?

I've already ordered the Avid BB7's front and rear. I'll get them setup and broken in. Then i'll revisit the issues to see if they are still there.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Krap22 the avid bb7 is a solid brake bit setup is critical to them working well. If your not getting the performance you want out of them its the setup not the brake
    999.6 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    Krap22 the avid bb7 is a solid brake bit setup is critical to them working well. If your not getting the performance you want out of them its the setup not the brake
    I don't have the bb7's on my bike yet. I still have the brakes that come with the Marlin. everything i've read (and experienced) they are very entry level disc brakes. If i don't get the performance out of the bb7's, i'll look at taking it to my LBS to have them help me get them dialed in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bb7's finally installed and adjusted. In my initial test run I was very impressed. 100x better than my stock brakes. I'll have a better report after my ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Down hill Brakes and your good I promise!