mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Bought a 2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 1 ... and i forgot im a 6.2" 300lbs rider.

Hello guys! Im 6.2 tall and 300lbs. i live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Had Cannondales back in the 90s and, as most Cannondale fans, I love those bikes so much, i cant like any other brand better. Owned a 1993 Delta V 2000 and a 1997 Super V 2000. Rode other brands for some 10 years and now I decided to go back to Cannondale.

I started looking for a used Flash Alloy 2 or something similar, but then I found out that used bikes prices depend more on the seller`s need for cash/amount of bikes owned/main activity than on the model. So i saw some Alloy flashes practically the same price as carbon ones. And I saw some Carbon 3 the same price as Carbon 2. And some Carbon 1 a bit more then the two just mentioned. So I ended buying a 2012 Flash Carbon 1. A friend who`s coming to Argentina is bringig the bike in January. I was happy like 2 days with my buy until one day while in bed late at night i thought: What the f**k, I`m a whale on corticosteroids! Im gonna break that babe!I love doing soports, im very active, had good luck with ladies and often forget how big I am. Im the kind of big guy who wonders whos that fatty on the mirror. Probably some of u feel that way too.
    I did some research on the forum and couldn`t find any Clydesdales riding any of these.
    I ride mostly road, maybe some gravel. Never do drop offs. If here is a hole or even a speed bump I always lift my fat arse off the saddle. What i mean is that i don`t punish my bikes at all. I`m aware that I`m way beyond the weight they were thought for and that reflects on my riding. In case anyone wonders why i dont ride a Road Bike instead is because: A) Roads and streets are pretty broken down here and road bikes are a bigger pain. B) I find road bikes more back breaking than doing bull rodeo.
    I`m planning to to loose as much weight possible until my bike arrives but lets be real. I might loose what? 20 - 30lbs if i starve and ride my ass off? So lets thing I`m still whale-ish when it arrives.
    Right now I ride a Easton Scandium Aluminum frame bike on Mavic Crossmax rims, most xtr stuff, Mavic hubs. Never had a problem doing my concious riding. Think I only broke ONE spoke in 2000 Miles and it was turning uphill on a sandy road. Had a bit cheaper set of wheels in the past and spokes broke all the time.
    What I mean is: Is it possible that Higher End components are more resistant than cheaper lower end comps? I' m afraid of my new Carbon frame and lefty. Although I read somewhere Cannondale Tests their bikes to 300lbs. Arch ZTR rims claim max wheight 250. But my guess is that the plan max weighs on XC riding, roots, reasonable stones and drop offs. I always rode tires with pressures way above their max recommended pressure and never had a issue. A guy weighing 250 on a 3 foot drop off or descending a stony section of the trail might transfer a 400lbs stress to bike on landing. Maybe more? What I mean is that maybe the give a weight limit for heavy duty riding but if u ride flat n safe maybe u can push that limit a bit. Our brains think Heavier-Stiffer Lighter-Softer. But new materials trend to have great stifness with less weight. F1 Cars are made of Carbon Fiber. Maybe stiffer kind of carbon. but i think carbon might be underrated. I remember back in the 90s when the first Trek OCLV Y bikes came out people would say the frame could crack even if the bike fell of with no one on it.
    Maybe it will hold, maybe it wont. I`ll sacrifice my self finding out. Maybe we all tend to ride crappy heavy bikes just thinking they will resist better. Or maybe I`ll post from the hospital. Buying this bike si in part a motivation for riding more and faster. Lets hope we do well.

PS: I tried to be rational and think it will hold. I have no rational theories to think on the SAVE seatpost holding on.Bought a 2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 1 ... and i forgot im a 6.2" 300lbs rider.-%24t2ec16h-zifiekv-isjbsd-fpv3w-%7E%7E60_57.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sorry for the long text seems like I'm a frustrated writer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Max weight is 300lbs plus 5lbs of bike luggage.

Best you shed that weight so you don't have to ride naked.

In the owners manual in pdf form on their website.

Why you would buy the most racy lightweight bike is up to you - but it looks like you will just squeak in on the right side of the line if you dro a few lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Max weight is 300lbs plus 5lbs of bike luggage.

Best you shed that weight so you don't have to ride naked.

In the owners manual in pdf form on their website.

Why you would buy the most racy lightweight bike is up to you - but it looks like you will just squeak in on the right side of the line if you dro a few lbs.
    Great info thanx a lot!