mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bottom bracket help

I am using a shimano OEM crankset on my commuter hybrid. I mash! Does anyone rebuild these cartridge Es51's? I am going through 2 a season. Anyone make a stronger one? I tried square taper and externals with their cooresponding cranks. I would go through those even quicker. Need some advice here.

mtbr member
    Stop mashing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    try an oct-link bb and crank, little old school but pretty tough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Don't get Octolink. They fell out of favour for a reason - not as good as what came after.

Stop mashing. Learn to use gears and legs and brain! Better for the bike, your knees and your back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey.....Clyde's mash!!! And I have decided to go back to square taper if I can keep from rounding and mushrooming the cranks. I was able to get a truvativ square. If I can keep them tight, I should do well. I have come to the conclusion that the larger bearings are most necessary.

mtbr member
    Well, maybe. But there's something to it if you're going through two bottom brackets per year. Either you ride a hell of a lot of miles or you really need to work on your riding technique. I've never worn out a BB even when riding a lot at my heaviest of 320 pounds. And I'm definitely not smooth and graceful when riding. I tend to mash but not two BB's worth of mashing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Some Clydes mash. Same as some skinny guys do too.
    I'm Clyde and learned to spin instead of mash. A little no-cost tweaking of your riding style would save you time and money. Square taper is retrograde, but it's your money and you seem to want to spend it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Some Clydes mash. Same as some skinny guys do too.
    I'm Clyde and learned to spin instead of mash. A little no-cost tweaking of your riding style would save you time and money. Square taper is retrograde, but it's your money and you seem to want to spend it.
    Well if I get a BBUN55 or 73, I might be ok. I am just tired of burning through these things. This is my commuter. Almost 12 miles a day of riding. I have an expensive bad habit of mashing. No denying it. It causes damage to many parts in which I have recently replaced. But I just traded a set of SPD's for a Bontrager Square crank arms this morning and Jensen has the un73's for 10 bucks. I had a UN72 back in the day and NEVER had a problem with it.

mtbr member
    mashing isn't what's causing this.
    E51 square tapers are disposable, and meant to last maybe 1000 miles, so the rate you go through them seems pretty normal.

I'd have a shop check or just face your BB shell, going through external BBs that fast isn't normal, they rely on the frame face for alignment, and if the 2 sides are out of alignment they will wear out quick. Shimano external bearing BBs are about as good as it gets, and they can be rebuilt for about $15 with the proper tool (which is about $100, so you'll sort of have to work out if that's worthwhile).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok false alarm in the BB. Turns out after swapping BB, cranks arms and moving over chainrings, the pedals were the cause of the creeks. They fooled me considering it felt just like the BB and location. The sound traveled!