mtbr member

Bottom Bracket for a Clyde

Hey guys! I am 6'3" and currently weigh in at 265lbs. and I am riding a 2011 Trek X-cal. After my ride yesterday I noticed that something felt "different". I am noticing a little play side to side in my crank arms. And i can even feel a "click" if I am sitting on the bike balancing between the pedals and put pressure on one of the pedals. I did some searching on here and have come to realization that my bottom bracket is either loose or is on it's way out. I stopped at the LBS today to show the guy that takes care of my bike and he said it's all but toast. He did not try to tighten it and I don't have the tool to do so. I am gonna order the BB tool tonight because i will need that either way.
    Now, as for the search for a new bottom bracket. The mechanic said to go Phil Woods Outboard bottom bracket if i was willing to spend the money. I have no problem spending money for something that i won't have to replace for a long time. I'm just having a hard time finding reviews from fellow clydes on the phil woods BB. Do any of you guys have experience with this particular BB? I also really like my hope hubs and would have no problem buying a hope BB. same thing though, i like to read reviews from other clydes before i spend the money on the parts. If there are other BB's that you think i should look at I am open to suggestions. I am new to this type of work and i am still learning. The current BB is a sram GXP and the type of crank is a sram crank, so from what i've been told shimano BB's are out. If there is any other information i can give you to help just let me know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm heavier than you and I have Chris King BB on all three of my bikes, 2 of the bikes have SRAM cranks. No problems with them thus far, but it's only been 8 months on one, 6 months on the other. I used to have the GXP on my Niner WFO which went out on me after 6 months. Phil's are supposed to be good tho.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I had a phil woods square taper on my karate monkey... it was an amazing BB... I wish I had kept it when I sold the bike...

I know everything they make is top notch... not the lightest weight... but neither am I... i'd happily go phil wood and not think twice about the choice if I had the $$$
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess it's Phil wood.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Check out the Hope BB's. Not sure on the durability, but Hope makes some good stuff.

Edit: looks like you already know about the Hope BBs

mtbr member
    Stay away from square tapered cranks! They are not as strong as the ISIS, Octolink, or hollow tech. I am only at 240, but ride hard and the hollowtechs have held up for me.
    James
    "My mountain bike needs a new motor; the current one is fat and lazy."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast_monte` View Post
    Stay away from square tapered cranks! They are not as strong as the ISIS, Octolink, or hollow tech. I am only at 240, but ride hard and the hollowtechs have held up for me.
    I concur, every square taper i have ever had wallowed out one the crank arms. Never had any issue with other styles.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Outboard BB's don't last like the old bb's, they are almost a disposable item now. Maybe just replace them with another SRAM bb, it's usually the right side one that goes first.

Having said that, I'm the exact same size as you and have a chris king BB with the grease injector, they are excellent, last a long time. Phil Wood is also very good and strong too, can't go wrong.

Just gotta know that any external BB will eventually need to be replaced, they cop a lot. But yeah, would not touch a square taper bb in a million years, anyway it wouldn't be compatible with your cranks.

EDIT: Your problem might not be the BB related at all. Might want to check your frame for cracks too. Just in case.
    Last edited by markymark; 01-08-2013 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've always been a big fan of Shimano XT bottom brackets. They're really strong and long lasting for the money. I'm 240 and I've never had to replace one, however if you have the money to burn, the Philwood is a good choice too.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Surprised no one mentioned Enduro, very durable bottom brackets

GXP CERAMIC HYBRID OUTBOARD BOTTOM BRACKET

Or you can simply replace the bearings in your existing cups

GXP BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    thanks for all the advice guys. I have not purchased a BB yet because I was out in the garage going over my bike and it turns out i was able to tighten the crank about 3/4 of a turn and it seems to have fixed the problem for the time being. I rode a hard 11 miles yesterday after i tightened the crank and it seemed to do the job. When it comes time to buy a bottom bracket (which probably isn't too far away) it will def. be a phil wood outboard bottom bracket. But it is nice to know that i can buy replacement bearings for my current GXP BB, because i was previously told that i could not buy new bearings. thanks again!

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
    thanks for all the advice guys. I have not purchased a BB yet because I was out in the garage going over my bike and it turns out i was able to tighten the crank about 3/4 of a turn and it seems to have fixed the problem for the time being. I rode a hard 11 miles yesterday after i tightened the crank and it seemed to do the job. When it comes time to buy a bottom bracket (which probably isn't too far away) it will def. be a phil wood outboard bottom bracket. But it is nice to know that i can buy replacement bearings for my current GXP BB, because i was previously told that i could not buy new bearings. thanks again!
    Nice. I have a GXP with Stylo cranks... just check the torque on occasion and they should be fine (they are a bit "notorious" for loosening by some of the rumblings I've read over the years). I also run square taper Shimano XT/BBUN72 and V1 Octalink's w/o any problem. I'm 195# at the moment so sub-Clyde but gots plenty of pedal goin to the metal/aluminum

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Surprised no one mentioned Enduro, very durable bottom brackets

GXP CERAMIC HYBRID OUTBOARD BOTTOM BRACKET

Or you can simply replace the bearings in your existing cups

GXP BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING
    I've heard good things about Enduro BB's. When the time comes, I'm going to replace mine with Enduro.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Chris King or Shimano

turtles make me hot
    I'm big and ruined a few Shimano bottom brackets. I switched to Chris King and bought the grease tool at the same time. Been riding with the same bb for a few years now.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    there is a thread (i. believe it is stickied) about servicing your shimano or gxp outboard bearing bb. yiu need to be a bit delicate but its quite easy to do. pop off seals, flush out the grime with some wd40 then regrease and reassemble. i did it with a horribly gritty and grimy bb that came with a used crank i bought and i made it serviceable. i bet if this is done every 6 months or so it would make these bb's last quite a long time.