mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Bottom Bracket BB and Crankset

Ok I should have made one thread (sorry) I need to start a bike build and Im excited. I need a BB and Crank that needs to stand up to some punishment. I plan on riding semi agressive. No 4 foot drops or anything but lots of climbs and fast downhills over rocks and roots and some 2 foot drops. What is a good BB and Crank set. I was looking at the truvativ fire x team cranks and I am not sure of the BB.

large member
    I highly recommend the Race Face Evolve XC with X-Type (external) BB. I'm actually using a Evolve DH with X-type for the extra strength and the weight isn't bad at all. The external BB's feel extremely solid and the Evolve cranks have no flex at a really low price point, hell, rediculously low pricepoint. I picked mine up at pricepoint.com

Your bike is incorrigible

More RF

Three words: Race Face Atlas. It's light for what it is. It's tough enough if you decide to do more than 2 foot drops. It will never loosen. You can even adjust the chain line. They are going for $200 at greenfish.

I will never go back to ISIS. Only X-type for me. Until you try them, you don't have any idea what you're missing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think Shimano Hone would work for you. Cheaper than the Atlas, plenty strong. The Hone Double has steel pedal inserts, too.

Whatever you choose, go with an external bearing (2-piece) setup.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. Is this the correct bb

Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    I highly recommend the Race Face Evolve XC with X-Type (external) BB. I'm actually using a Evolve DH with X-type for the extra strength and the weight isn't bad at all. The external BB's feel extremely solid and the Evolve cranks have no flex at a really low price point, hell, rediculously low pricepoint. I picked mine up at pricepoint.com

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=15820

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Your bike is incorrigible

No good Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by jnstrom
    Now you're going for the whole package?! I thought it was just the crankset and BB. Well, it probably is a lot cheaper if you go that way. But, as someone else mentioned, the Hone is going to be a lot tougher than the Evolve XC. It's sort of the freeride equivalent of LX/XT. I'm not going to recommend the SRAM X.0 and Evolve package for aggresive clyde riding. That package is meant for less-than-clyde pure XC racing, not aggresive trail riding. Check around and see if you can find a good deal on the Hone package.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Thanks Ill check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Now you're going for the whole package?! I thought it was just the crankset and BB. Well, it probably is a lot cheaper if you go that way. But, as someone else mentioned, the Hone is going to be a lot tougher than the Evolve XC. It's sort of the freeride equivalent of LX/XT. I'm not going to recommend the SRAM X.0 and Evolve package for aggresive clyde riding. That package is meant for less-than-clyde pure XC racing, not aggresive trail riding. Check around and see if you can find a good deal on the Hone package.
    Ok Ill check out the Hone Package for the BB and the Cranks. Thanks