mtbr member
    Sep 2005

"Borderline Clyde" needs help...

I slightly exceed the 200 lb. barrier (w/o gear) but I'm working hard at getting back to the 175 - 180 I weighed before I got lazy. I'm currently riding a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc but want to go to FS. I want something that won't be too painful for general XC (not racing, I'm more interested in durability than weight) but can handle drops (mostly in the 4' - 6' or so range and rocky where I ride). There aren't many killer climbs or super-nasty descents around where I live, mostly rolling singletrack with rocky, droppy sections. So far I've been skipping the drops because I don't want to break my current bike but I don't like doing that. I was considering a Heckler but I'm not sure if it's designed for the drops I want to do at my weight. I'm also not sure at this point if I want to drop $4000 (Canadian) on a bike which is about what I'd be looking at for the Santa Cruz bikes through the LBS. My LBS (5 hours away but it's the closest one to where I live) has the 2005 Specialized Enduro, Devinci Jalapeno and Trek Liquid 25 at clearance prices and the 2006 Trek EX6, EX7, Cannondale Prophet 400 and 800 at decent prices as well as a demo 2005 Specialized Enduro Pro for about 1/2 original retail but I'm not sure about those for what I want to do. I'm not real big on the idea of buying a demo bike, there's no way to know what's been done with it and I'm not experienced enough at the tech stuff to be able to properly check it over myself. I'm probably what would be classified as low intermediate skill wise but I'm somewhat aggressive and not always smart enough to not do things I probably shouldn't. So should I take the cheap-lock off of my bank account and spring for one of the bikes I had in mind? I'm open to any suggestions that fit what I'm looking for.

P.S. Sorry for the long-winded post but I was trying to cover as many questions that are likely to come up as possible.
    Last edited by steep_h2o; 05-31-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    save your cash and buy something used like a Stinky or Bullit

wait to see if he wants to get into the sport
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the reply but I have this weirdness that doesn't generally allow me to buy anything that is abused by design used unless I know it's history first hand. I'd rather pay a little more for something I know is at least starting out healthy and with some form of warranty.

sushi lover
    May 2006
    fine, save your cash longer and buy a new Stinky or Bullit

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hahahaha. Ok, point taken. I'm also looking at the Devinci Johnson (no, not Devinci's Johnson... the Devinci Johnson) but I really don't know much (anything) about Devinci bikes other than what I've read and what the LBS has said about them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Go for the Prophet. It's hard to beat ! IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steep_h2o
    Hahahaha. Ok, point taken. I'm also looking at the Devinci Johnson (no, not Devinci's Johnson... the Devinci Johnson) but I really don't know much (anything) about Devinci bikes other than what I've read and what the LBS has said about them.
    devinci's seem like great bikes- check 'em out on the DH & manufacturer's boards
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I recommend the Rush 1000.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Borderline clyde no longer needs help. Pretty much made my decision. Thanks folks.