mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bikes with Low Seat Tubes

As a bigger guy myself I wanted to know how most of you deal with biked like the Rockhopper, Hardrock and many Gary Fishers which have very low seat tubes. I am sure they are great for all downhill trails but what about XC stuff. Most of the time getting to and from the trail takes longer than riding the trail and it is usually all XC, so how you your bodies handle such a low seat tube? Do you feel safe pitting so much reliance on the seat post.

BWG
    mtbr member
    I use 400mm posts - preferrably 31.6 or 30.9 diameter (determined by the frame of course) - smaller diameter than that flexes too much for me. I run all my seats the same distance from the bottom bracket for the sake of my knees regardless of the frame design.

The stiffest seatpost I use is the 31.6 Carbon Raceface Next I have on my RIP9 - I don't notice any flex in it, but I do on all my aluminum and titanium ones (Raceface Deus/Thomson Elite/Flyte Titanium). But some flex actually dampens the ride a bit.

The most flex came from a 27.2 Thomson Elite that was 400mm long and I had to run it extended near max on a steel hardtail. I wasn't worried about it though because of the quality construction (if you look at the bottom of the seatpost - the outer shape of the post is obviously round - but the inner shape is an oval. So it's thicker in some areas and thinner in others to maximize strength, allow some flex and not be too heavy).
    Last edited by BWG; 06-13-2009 at 06:51 AM.

29 some of the time...
    I have had a rockhopper of the bikes mentioned. With the proper size frame there should be no need for more than a 350-375mm seat post. It is only when running smaller frames that I have needed to use a 410mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

BWG
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=AL29er] With the proper size frame there should be no need for more than a 350-375mm seat post. QUOTE]

Today frame size is selected primarily by toptube length and not by seat tube length/standover like it was when I was a kid. Many of these dropped toptube bikes require a longer seatpost. My RacerX 29er doesn't but my RIP9 does - and I'm only 5'11''.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup pick bikes baised on ETT not stand over/seat tube height...

high seat posts aren't a big deal... just make sure to run a strong seat post (thompson elite here) with the post well past the min insertion line...

IMHO the worst part of the tall post thing is that it also goes hand in hand with a short head tube so many of us tall guys get to run tons of spacers on the steerer tube (and maybe a riser bar) to get the bars where they belong
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What doe ETT mean, sorry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Effective top tube length.

top tube length is from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat tube at what ever angle it is.

effective is the measurement of the axis of the head and seat tube parallel to the ground

hope I explained that right.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    IMHO the worst part of the tall post thing is that it also goes hand in hand with a short head tube so many of us tall guys get to run tons of spacers on the steerer tube (and maybe a riser bar) to get the bars where they belong

ALL the spacers........ Well, on my 26er anyways. And risers.

That's one reason I'm building my own 26er frame. The tubes will be here by Fathers's day.
    The HT will be 175 mm, the seat tube 23.75 and the eff. TT 25.5

My new Salsa 29er amazingly fits, but I'm STILL using a few spacers.
    occasional cyclist