mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Which Bike? (x-post)

Yes, it's another one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another which bike should I get thread. I'm really trying to get back into the MTB scene. My current ride is a 95 Giant Sedona. Rode some last year, but really not enough to qualify as a good effort. SOOOO, I've been sipping the Kool-Aid and I'm really interested in a 29"er

Here's my requirements:

1) Must be Clyde-worthy. I'm about 6' tall and a good solid 250. I'd like to drop 30-40, but I don't think that I will ever make it out of the Clyde class. I lift too many weights. I'm not planning on any major drops or extreme riding though.

2) Need a do it all bike. I plan to use it for riding the fire-roads and trails while scouting for Elk. I plan to ride it around town in the evenings. (no close trails, and I'm on call half my life). Hope to ride it to work and back.

3) Probably needs to be a complete bike that my LBS will stock or order for me. I'm in the NE corner of WY (a transplant from Oregon) so my choices and availability are extremely limited. We have one small LBS who typically stocks mainly Specialized and Trek. But I have talked to them and they are dealers for some others as well, they just don't stock them. I asked them about 29ers last year and they really tried to steer me away from them. Said there weren't enough good tires, wheels, etc.

4) Must be somewhat affordable. I'm not going to lay out 4k for a bike to get back into things. Maybe if I get hooked, but not right away. I'd like to stay in the $1500 or less range for the total package.

So what do you think? Am I asking for too much? I've toyed with the idea of even going SS but I'm not sure that is such a good plan for a first new bike.

So let me have it. All thoughts and opinions wanted. I think that I would prefer something with front suspension, but it is not a definite must.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    have you looked at ironhorse? they have a wide variety with several price points (some sub $500)

Former Bike Wrench
    You should look at a Surly Karate Monkey. It's a Cro-Mo steel framed 29er that is bombproof. You can pickup a frameset (frame and rigid fork) for under $500 and build it as you like. It can be made a fully geared, 1 x 9 geared, or singlespeed. You can throw on some burly 36 spoke touring wheels and they will be plenty stiff and durable. I think it can easily be built up for around a grand.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...te-monkey.html

anyone else smell that?
    i second the karate monkey mention. i'd look for a used one....should be able to come up with one under a thousand complete. that'll leave you change to get a suspension fork if you so choose.

otherwise, you could look for a jamis 29er and the khs 29er. both are steel, around $1k and have decent enough components on them. and should be obtainable by a lbs....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    At right around 6' tall what size KM frame should I be looking at?

Former Bike Wrench
    Depends on your torso length...if you have a short torso, I'd go 18"...if you have a long torso you might step up to the 20". Its better to size a bike to the top tube length than the seattube length.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How bout some thoughts on the KM vs. the Haro Mary XC?

Members who have read this thread: 0