Big Mtn Biker
    Jul 2007

New question here. Bike and Wheel advice

Having always had a hardtail I have played with the idea of retiring my Cannondale CAAD 2 F400 Hardtail that I bought in 1998 (I think) for a full suspension ride. My concern is whether or not the full suspension handle my weight (6'4 285 lbs)? I have no experience with full suspension so I don't really know their capabilities but have heard nothing but good things about them. Is there one better than the others? or is just personal preference? I have been told to look into 29ers but don't know anything about them. Wouldn't bigger wheels be easier to flatten out??? Any rim advice to handle a heavy and hard rider?? Any and all advice welcomed and appreciated!!! I

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmtnman
    Having always had a hardtail I have played with the idea of retiring my Cannondale CAAD 2 F400 Hardtail that I bought in 1998 (I think) for a full suspension ride. My concern is whether or not the full suspension handle my weight (6'4 285 lbs)? I have no experience with full suspension so I don't really know their capabilities but have heard nothing but good things about them. Is there one better than the others? or is just personal preference? I have been told to look into 29ers but don't know anything about them. Wouldn't bigger wheels be easier to flatten out??? Any rim advice to handle a heavy and hard rider?? Any and all advice welcomed and appreciated!!! I

Check out the Yeti 575 in Xl, nice big and sturdy. You can choose the rear shock that best suits you and your riding style. The Mavic 823's are a great wheel, or the Easton Havocs. Im 6'4 and ride an XL 575. After buying 4 other full suspension bikes I was finally happy when I got the 575.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Kona Dawg can handle you, no problems.

I'm about 25lbs lighter than you and have ridden Kona Kikapu Deluxe's and Giant Trance's with no issues.