Thread: Bike upgrades

mtbr member
    May 2013

Bike upgrades

As my first post on this forum, I will start with a short introduction. I am 6'8" and weigh 250lb and currently ride a 2006 Giant Yukon XXL. I purchased it a couple years ago after breaking the frame of my parent's bike. I went to a few local bike shops to look at bikes and decided on a Yukon XXL because of the frame size and value. The only upgrade I have made since purchasing the bike was acquiring clipless pedals and shoes.
    I am looking to upgrade the bike from its stock version and am curious what upgrades would get me the most bang for my buck, so to speak. I do not expect other parts to make a similarly drastic difference as the pedals, but I would like to hear opinions about what items I should consider upgrading first.
    Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing everyone's ideas.

mtbr member
    I would look at a solid fork and wheel set first. Unless you are having issues with your current components then I would spend the money to beef the bike up where possible.

For what it's worth, I am 6'0" down to 225lb. I upgraded my wheel set to a set of Mavic Crossmax and the front fork to a RockShox Revelation and could not be happier. I destroyed stock wheels in the rocky and technical trails we have here, sense converting to the Croxxmax I have not even had to true them and they are much lighter.

mtbr member
    Convert it to single speed and ride happily ever after.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How much riding are you doing? I'd be tempted to say 'nothing until it wears out' - but you probably don't want to hear that.

It was a fairly cheap bike at the time and you really don't want to be putting too much into that in the long run. We're a similar height and weight and in all honesty my biggest bike upgrade was from 26" wheel bikes to 29" bikes. Ride it til it dies and save the money for the next bike (IMHO).

How much do you want to spend and what do you want in return - lighter, faster, smoother, better fit? Lots of factors.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Second the option for saving your $$$ up for a new bike... I am just 6'4" and went with a 29er... I rode my little 26er for the first time in 6 months and it is cute. Tiny little wheels.

A New bike will always net you a bigger payoff than hodge-podge upgrades... I know it will take longer, but, trust me, it is well worth it.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    And if you MUST upgrade.... wheels.... wheels are always a good place to start from.... wheels with a thru axle up front and a new fork to match it.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tires can/will make a huge difference.......