mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bike upgrade dilemma

I have a stock 1998 Bianchi Veloce with a steel (Dedacciai Zero/Uno butted) frame. Dedacciai Zero/Uno is a heavier gauge steel, which works well for me since I am currently 220 lbs and 6'-4" tall. The frame fits me well, and I like the ride quality.

The bike in general is pretty heavy, with a steel fork and nondescript wheels: Bianchi Nth 520 rims, w/ Campy hubs.

My upgrade dilemma is whether I should go with a new bike with a more modern carbon frame (but lower cost stock components due to cost); or keep the frame an upgrade to a carbon fork and carbon wheels. I am leaning towards the later since I have heard that the most "bang for your buck" bike upgrade in in the wheelset (and I have a lead on an affordable 1" thread-less carbon fork and carbon handlebars).

What do you guys think? Would it be pointless to put money into an older frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys: Yea if I went with a new carbon fiber frame, I couldn't afford expensive wheels.

Those Shamals look sweet ( Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Black Clincher - 2012: Total Cycling ) but, at my weight, I would worry about the low spoke count.

What would the best 32 spoke (3 cross) alloy wheels be (pre-built)?

Hi Erik,

take everything i say with a grain of salt, they are just my opinions.

if you like the ride of your bike, you should certainly keep it over getting something cheap in the CF market, you're unlikely to gain anything there. do you just want to "upgrade" because you feel the itch for something new or what?

at your weight, i think carbon fiber wheels are a bad idea. i ALWAYS think carbon fiber handlebars are a bad idea. be careful with buying older, used carbon fiber forks too, could be any number of things wrong with them.

your best bet would be to get some nice alloy wheels for your bike. something durable and light. think handbuilt wheels, anything from the ksyrium line, or anything from campy's prebuilt line. my shamals are arguably the best wheels i own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well- I did decide to do an "upgrade" of sorts, bought this used tonight with everything accept a wheelset:

2003 Lemond Zurich 61cm road bike
    Measured Geometry
    Seat tube = 61cm center to center, 63.5cm to top of clamp
    Top Tube = 61cm center to center
    Head tube = 22cm including headset
    Fork tube length = 30cm (~12")
    Stand over height = 86.5cm (~34.25")

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Colors Black/Red
    Frame Tubing Material Reynolds 853
    Fork Brand & Model Bontrager Race Lite Carbon
    Fork Material Carbon fiber, aero crown

Components
    Component Group Shimano Ultegra
    Brakeset Shimano Ultegra Dual Pivot brakes, Shimano Ultegra STI Dual Control levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Ultegra STI Dual Control
    Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra GS
    Crankset Shimano Dura Ace, 39/53 teeth

Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-6500, 109.5mm spindle
    BB Shell Width 68mm English
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 12 - 27 teeth
    Chain Shimano CN-HG92, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Lemond Aluminum micro-adjust

Handlebar 3T Forgie XL (44) Oversized

Handlebar Stem 3T Forgie XL
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Cane Creek S-2