mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bike tray long enough to fit an XL frame

My new XL Jamis Dakar XC Pro is so long that the back wheel is hanging off the back of my 589 Thule tray, it even pushed the end cap off and I lost it somewhere on the highway. So now I'm looking for a tray that will sufficiently fit an XL bike. Any of you tall guys with big bikes have a recommendation? What about the frame clamp ones like the Thule Big Mouth? I'm thinking Thule because the rest of my rack is all Thule but I'd get a different brand if there's other options out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    How short are you? (or how much longer do you need the tray to be?)

A rocky mounts lariat w/ disk brake adapter will add around 6" over the standard yakima tray length, which is probably close to the standard tule length. I will let you check the details since my quick search did not find any actual tray lengths.

hey, what the!
    Swagman hitch mount rack will fit anything. It's not as nice as the Thule but at 130.00 it works pretty well. I rack an XL Santa Cruz VP Free with no problems.
    the beatings will continue until morale has improved...

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    yakima king cobra works great for my bike, which has like a 43-45" wheel base, and plenty of room left over behind the rear wheel. Not sure if it'd work 4-u as it sounds like you have a thule system already - but thule probably has an analogous tray.

either way, you can go measure them at REI or a LBS and see what's what.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for all the replies so far. The 589 is a fork mount tray, and something about 3 or 4 inches longer would be ideal. I'll see if I can get some measurements

Making fat cool since '71
    I fit an XL 6Pack into an XL king cobra (Yakima) with a few inches left over. The bike has a lllooooonnnngg wheelbase.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

@adelorenzo
    I use the 594 sidearm mount for my bike, an XL Karate Monkey with big Rampage 29er tires, and I have no problems with it at all. The KM has a 109 cm wheelbase, your rig has 110 cm so it should be pretty similar.

IMHO, that style of mount is also the best one out there.

Regards,
    Anthony

it tied the room together
    Quote Originally Posted by kjahn
    Swagman hitch mount rack will fit anything. It's not as nice as the Thule but at 130.00 it works pretty well. I rack an XL Santa Cruz VP Free with no problems.
    I'm with kjahn, go hitch. However, I'm sold on the thule t2.. best in class in my opinion. never switching back to anything else. Oh yeah, XL Heckler rider here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

No disappointment here

I have a number of racks, but the Thule t2 is by far the best. When I used my Yakima dual arm-hitch mounted rack on our new SUV, the wind flow over the rack was so powerful that if I hadn't used a security strap, my bike would ave been a hood ornament for the poor guy behind me. The T2 also fit the xs Titus my wife rides, (that will not fit on the Yakima) and my xl Niner. Spend the money, you will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla.
    How short are you? (or how much longer do you need the tray to be?)

A rocky mounts lariat w/ disk brake adapter will add around 6" over the standard yakima tray length, which is probably close to the standard tule length. I will let you check the details since my quick search did not find any actual tray lengths.
    I have this exact setup on my car. I will measure it and hopefully remember to post back for the OP.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My Yakima King Cobra tray fit my buddy's M/L Highline bike just fine - long, slacked out wheelbase.

Making fat cool since '71

Totally OT but...

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    My Yakima King Cobra tray fit my buddy's M/L Highline bike just fine - long, slacked out wheelbase.
    Your avatar: I'm lovin' it...

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thule replied to an email I sent them and also recommended the 594. So I think I'll go with that and keep my roof rack, and my 589 will carry my wife's bike from now on