Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Bike for a tall guy

Hey guys. It seems like my story is a pretty common one, I'm getting back into cycling after a 10-15 year break. I rode bike a lot when I was younger but once I got a full time job I just stopped. As I look at mountain bikes today I'm amazed at how far they've come, it is amazing and it puts my no suspension Rock Hopper to shame.

I'm looking to get a 29er, probably F/S one. I'm splitting my riding time between road and trail but I already have a nice road bike. The catch is that I'm 6'9" and 215 lbs so I need a BIG bike. I used to do a fair amount of singletrack and some semi-technical stuff but for right now I think I'm mostly just going to be riding single track and some pretty rough dirt roads. The bikes I'm looking at are:
    Stumpjumper
    ventana el rey
    Zinn Mega Bike

I'm really not sure that an XXL stumpjumper is big enough because I can't find one to test out. But then again I can't test ride a big ventana or Zinn either. Honestly all 3 of these bikes are more than I was looking to spend but they're all within spitting disatnce I think so I'm still concidering all 3. I'm leaning towards the MegaBike mostly because Zinn is a tall guy and knows what tall guys need.

So what are your thoughts? Any bikes I'm missing that I really should be looking at?

Thanks,
    Eric
    NorCal

mtbr member
    Hey, you might be able to get the XXL Stumpy 29er to work. You're 3 inches taller than me but I have a long torso and the bike fits me perfect. I swaped out the 120 stem with a 110. If you have long legs rather than long torso it would probably work out for ya. Set back seat post and 110 or 120 stem might do the trick.
    Also check out to Turner Sultan in XXL. Very solid bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a 38" inseam, not sure if that makes me long torso'ed or not.

mtbr member
    That would probably work. I have a 36" inseam and there's plenty of seat post to raise on the XXL to fit your 38"inseam. Best bet is to swing a leg over one but if you can't I'd be pretty confidant you'd fit on a XXL stumpy.
    Zinn's are nice but probably almost twice as expensive. If you're going to drop that much cash I would go with a custom Moots MX Divide full squish. Dream bike but out of this world pricing for a full Ti build.
    Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey Efinley,

I am also 6ft9 and I ride a XXL Turner 5 Spot so I would expect the Sultan 29er to be a good bet fro you. Another option would be to go for a hand build Ti frame from Burls Bicycles Home

It might help further to understand your budget....

Inspector Gadget
    Just FYI: 6'4" with a 38" inseam here and I ride a XL KHS 29er HT... I keep the seat pretty low. If I put it all the way up I don't feel comfortable.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    XXL (23") has your name on it.
    I'm your size and have (2) Spec. Stumpjumpers (FS and SS), but my main ride is now a Trek Superfly Elite 100....all are XXL.

Riding and lovin it.
    Im 6'6" 210lb with 37" inseam. I ride a XL Salsa El Mar. custom built. I tryed a Giant Yokon xxl frame and it was to large for me. maybe a XTC XXL would fit you nice.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'6", all torso with 32" inseam. Recently bought an XL Stumpy HT. Test rode an XXL, and it was way too big (tall & long) for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, it seems like I have some more bikes to test ride. I started this with a pretty modest budget but I quickly blew that away. Right now I'm thinking 3-4k but I'd be willing to spend a little more to get a bike that really fits (i.e. a custom bike).

My LBS is willing to order in a StumpJumper XXL for me to try out with no obligation. I might take him up on that. My biggest hangup is spending this kind of cash on a bike I never get to ride.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have XXXL El Rey and an XXXL Lynskey pro 29er. They are both custom.
    I also run 200mm cranks on both.

If I had to pick I'd keep the Lynskey, but both are awesome bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

xxl stumpy 29er fsr

I am 6'8" and got a XXL 2012 Stumpy FSR 29er in October.

I have a long torso, and wear 34 inch length Levis, if that means anything. I know there are more accurate bike related measurments.

The Stumpy fit feels great to me.

I think if I had the coin I would have gone with a Ventana El Rey XXL or XXXL, but I have been very happy with the Stumpy thus far, and have no regrets.

Eric

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The ETT on the XXL Rockhopper (as well as the Carve) is 10mm longer than the XXL Stumpjumper (670mm vs. 660mm).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Eric, where is the LBS that would order an XXL w/o obligation?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It was Bicycle Plus in Folsom, CA (Sacramento suburb). I'm not sure he'll do it for anyone, I was pretty serious at the time. I ended up buying a 25" Ventana El Rey which I think will fit my 6'9" frame a little better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'd like to see a picture of the 25 inch Ventana when you have the chance.
    E

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll take some pictures when it gets here. The wait is killing me! Supposed to be here next week...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can anyone recommend an 150/160mm AM frame for a 6'6" rider? I'm in the uk and my budget is around 1400 max. I'm looking for frame only, ideally 21/22" frame. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am 6'8" with a 36" inseam and was surprised how well I fit on the Trek 29er XXL frame. I have room to raise the seat up some too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    6'9", 215, 37" inseam. Back in October I got to ride a XXL Stumpjumper in the LBS parking lot and it fit great. I wasn't quite ready to buy a FS bike, so I went with a 23" Trek X-Cal (also fits great).

You're going to love whatever bike you buy, and it's going to fit you fine. But if you're like me, and you don't get to test them all, you'll always wonder what the other 2 would have been like...

Good luck and enjoy. And welcome back to mountain biking!
    2011 Trek X-Cal
    2000 Univega Alpina 600
    1999 Univega Alpina 700 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would have loved the x-cal. Only could swim the cost of the Cobia at the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

used Zinn Giga with upgrades

I go one for sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 6'9" and a XXL Stumjumper fits me nicely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am 6'5" with a 34.5" inseam and will be testing a 22" 29er on Tues and hoping it will fit. If you guys with the longer inseam are going for a XXL which is a 23" (???) it should be okay.
    Cheers,

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just put my XXL 2010 Stumpjumper elite up for sale here on mtbr. I just picked up a new bike and can't really afford both bikes. Any other big guys wanting a great all-round bike should check out the ad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast