mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Bike Suggestions for a Heavy Clydesdale

I have a friend that lives in the New Mexico area. He checks in at about 300 lbs and is looking for a F/S mtn. bike. He told me that he was looking for a sub 25 lb bike. I thought the frame on a sub 25 lb F/S bike would be on the light side and a heavier frame would be more suitable. Any of your suggestions and thoughts would be helpful.

Sumo-Clydedale
    I am not quite 300lbs. I am looking at Kona Hoss Deluxe. Here is a link:

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...9&parentid=253

I have accepted due to my weight at this time, I will have to compensate with a heavier frame more more reliability.

Russ

Not because I'm fast.....

No way

Quote Originally Posted by cb5.5
    I have a friend that lives in the New Mexico area. He checks in at about 300 lbs and is looking for a F/S mtn. bike. He told me that he was looking for a sub 25 lb bike. I thought the frame on a sub 25 lb F/S bike would be on the light side and a heavier frame would be more suitable. Any of your suggestions and thoughts would be helpful.
    Sub 25lbs FS bike at 300lbs...I would not recommend it. The bike and suspension would not perform well and he would destroy the bike in no time. I only weigh 240 and my FS bike weighs 33lbs set up for general XC trail riding. I have a heavy duty Ventana frame and wouldn't trade it for the world. Maybe look at something like the Santa Cruz Heckler, Bullit, a Ventana or one of the Kona heavy duty offerings. Good luck.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    Sub 25lbs FS bike at 300lbs...I would not recommend it. The bike and suspension would not perform well and he would destroy the bike in no time. I only weigh 240 and my FS bike weighs 33lbs set up for general XC trail riding. I have a heavy duty Ventana frame and wouldn't trade it for the world. Maybe look at something like the Santa Cruz Heckler, Bullit, a Ventana or one of the Kona heavy duty offerings. Good luck.
    Yep, either the Heckler or Bullit would be spot on for a 300# clyde. I wouldn't trust anything less. The unfortunate thing is that there are no more Bullits, even though they are supposed to be reintroducing them sometime this summer. You can get some good deals on used ones in the classifieds here on mtbr. But at least you can still buy a brand new Heckler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBackman
    I am not quite 300lbs. ...........I have accepted due to my weight at this time, I will have to compensate with a heavier frame more more reliability.

Russ
    Agreed. cb5.5's friend should due the same. His hopes for a reliable sub-30 pound FS are quite unreasonable. Besides, when you're around 3 bills, owning a featherlight bike should be the least of your worries.

A rugged high dollar all-mountain fully or a beefy hardtail are his best bets. Be careful even with the Hoss's though. Those wheelsets aren't as strong as you'd expect on a ike like that.

Ian

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by cb5.5
    He checks in at about 300 lbs and is looking for a F/S mtn. bike. He told me that he was looking for a sub 25 lb bike. I thought the frame on a sub 25 lb F/S bike would be on the light side and a heavier frame would be more suitable.
    I think your buddy has some unrealistic expectations regarding the weight of a sturdy full suspension bike. I'm in the market for a heavy duty trail bike, and I'm expecting my build to come in at the 34-38lb range. And I weigh 40-50lbs less than your friend.

One potential option is the Turner 5 Pack (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=2693). With full XTR and coil suspension front and rear it could come in at under 29lbs without pedals. I bet a Ventana X-5 with the same build would be pretty close to this weight also.

I hope that was helpful.

Patrick

mtbr member
    30-35# is reasonable. I'm a 29er junkie and there are plenty of mega clydes on Ventana El Caps. The Kona bikes are solid bets at a good price point. The 26" offerings from Ventana, Turner, Titus and others are great boutique options. I've got some plus-sized buddies on Jamis Dakar XLTs too with no issues.

25#? It's hard to find hardtails that light, let alone one for a big clyde.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thank you for all of your input. I will past this information on to my friend

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I would look a heckler built with coil shock and strong rims maybe mavic d-max? and then save weight with drive train etc. the hone cranck set is sposedly made for FR and is pretty light . I know a clydes dale that rides a kona coiler it is not super light but neither is he and it holds up well. I know another clyde that rides a kikipu and the frame has broke multiple times ( it was replaced by kona). I weigh 225 and i am looking at a heckler d am complete $1600 @ 33 lbs or x9 am complete $2600 @ 30 lbs. a lot of cash for three lbs.

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    hey guys... I'm 6'5" and 270. I ride a Trek 8000 hardtail on mostly rough-XC. I ride hard and fairly fast for a big dude. I'm getting ready to buy a FS and was just about sold on a Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert... NOW, after all your input and doing some follow-up research, I'm thinking very seriously about getting a Heckler with a XC setup.

I'd love to hear about its climbing characteristics from any of you Heckler riders as well as over XC performance! thanks~

big bob~

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I have a Weyless XP which is similar to a Heckler. It has been rumored that it was built at the same factory that builds the Heckler. It is a great bike. Simple, lots of mud clearance, and reliable. I have a 5th Element Air which gives the bike very little bob. I liked the bike for most rides over my former Blur. Better small bump compliance, and lack of suspension tightening on technical climbs made it a more fun bike to me. The Blur would crush it on fast dry trails. Although I had no problems with it I wouldn't get the 5th Air because of reliability issues. I used the bike for XC/trail and even had a F100X on the front for awhile. I'm switching my stable to 29ers so I'm willing to sell the frame with the shock for $125 including shock plus shipping. However if funds are not stretched buy new. You deserve it. I have a El Cap and it is a wonderful bike. I've bent cassettes, snapped chains, and my wheel set needs truing badly and yet the frame doesn't whimper. If you can afford this frame set, I recommend it highly.

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    abscar...thanks for the tip! I'll check it out!

bob~

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    are you selling the frame on the mtbr classifieds, just curious to see it.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I'm trying to decide if I should sell it or not. The frame and shock are sound but the the frame's appearence is somewhat weathered and 5th Element's history is spotty although the shock is fine. I bought the frameset for $400 more so for the shock which was to be used as a back up shock for my previous Blur, but discovered I really like the Weyless. Supergo is now out of business so I don't know if the frame could be warrantied if needed. It is over a year old. It is a 18in frame. If you're interested, I could send you a picture. Just PM me.