mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Bike suggestions for big guy

Hello, I am thinking of getting into biking to loose weight. I was 185 12 years ago when I got married, now I find myself at 285 after three kids . Well, my wife had the kids, I got the babby weight ! LOL. Anyway, what bikes should I be looking at ? I was looking at a Rockhopper, but after reading some posts on this forum, it seems that it might not hold up under me . All suggestions appreciated. TIA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would personally recommend a Giant Yukon hardtail. I got mine at 480lbs and it has seen me down to 270lbs then I found a bunch of sympathy baby weight too. I ride hard and like to jump (which is odd or a fatty) and this bike never skipped a beat. I liked it so much that I upgraded everything on it but even in stock trim it never had a single issue and if it did Giants warranty is supposed to be top notch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here she is (hopefully a pic is attached to this)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike suggestions for big guy-2012-02-26_16-43-10_469.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks , I try to find a dealer that has Giants and check it out . The three closest shops to me sell mostly Specialized and Trek.

mtbr member
    I have been riding a specialized carve. and have had no issues . i started at 330# I am down to 270# and moving on to a FSR SJ.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i have a rockhopper 29er and have had no problems at all ..iam 6'1 315...just wath you line and you wheels will survive..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I love my Giant Revel and I am 6'2" and 340. I didn't want to spend a ton of cash on a bike. It has held up really good and I have had no problems with it at all. Here is a pic from when I first got it about 4 months ago..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike suggestions for big guy-dscn1589.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think the revel replaced the yukon. From what i hear and have seen myself Giants seem to be super strong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Bike

I would try a Surly or Giant. The wheels will be an issue on most stock bike though.

My Brain Hurts!
    I ride a 2010 Giant Rincon. the Rincon is no more but the Revel pretty much fills that spot.

Aside from bending the seat rails on the stock seat and the seat post clamp stripping out, the bike has been a very good bike!

I will say the front fork is a weak spot in my opinion, mostly due to my weight I am sure. But it works, it aint broke and I am not fixing what aint broke. The rims have been just dandy, the brakes work well and I did replace the stock Kenda Nevegal tires with Tioga 1.95's

I did replace the grips too, but that was purely cosmetic preference as the stock grips are just fine.

Bikes such as these are good and it is really easy to upgrade derailleurs, rims etc to get a bike dialed in to want you want with a better level of quality.

In its current form...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am 6'7 - 290 lbs and a strong guy. I'm mostly a road, semi-trail rider and my rockhopper has NOT held up. I am currently, in what seems to be, and endless cycle of repairs. From drivetrain, wheels, brakes, and seat it hasn't been an enjoyalbe experience with specialized.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    does anyone have experience with the Airbourne's? I'm looking at the Sky Hawk, or possibly the Guardian if I can convince the wife right now. I'm 5'10" 280lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I second the Revel 1. You can find that model for under $500 for a 2012. Rear wheel will probably not stand up to much I kept breaking spokes on mine. Replaced it with a downhill 36 spoke wheel and it now seems bombproof. I'm sure there are specialized or trek equivalents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    shock pump is key

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    my cannondale trail has been real good to me since I got it a few weeks ago. Rode some rocky single track last weekend that I would have thought would have broken something but the bike held up. I come from a downhill backround so when I get going downhill with some tricky terrain I really try and ride hard.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    Most any of the name brand stuff will be fine. The single most important aspect is that you go ride. If you are not good at wrenching and fixing, I would avoid a mail order bike like Airborne or Fezarri. Not to say these are not good bikes, they are. I would stick with a big name brand...Trek, Specialized, Giant etal...Buy the best quality bike you can afford from a reputable LBS that has been in business for awhile(try your state forum). Lots of shops offer lifetime "adjustments" that can mean the difference between riding and not riding because something on the bike isn't working right. Trek and Specialized have low or zero interest cards that can allow you to pay over a year instead of all at once. Establish a good relationship with your LBS and it will pay huge dividends in the future. Try to demo any bike you like. Most shops typically charge for this, but if you buy a bike from them, they usually take that cost off the purchase price. A buddy of mine told me his wife was *****ing about him spending 3,000 bucks on a bike and he told her that a triple bypass is alot more expensive than that. Look at it as an investment to your health and it's easier to part with your cash. And its fun. It's mostly rider and not the equipment.....enjoy!