mtbr member

Bike suggestions

Got out of the MTB scene almost 4 years ago due to injury. Since then, I've gained some weight, and still have the urge to ride again. I don't have the funds for a boutique bike. My last two bikes were Specialized BigHits. I loved them, ultra strong and I had them build up kinda burly. But I don't want a 40+ pound bike this time around...although I still want strong bars, cranks, and wheels. I'm thinking something in the 6" travel trail bike style. I've glanced through a few magazines, and the choices are overwhelming. What modern bikes will support a 275# rider, if built with heavier components, but not cost as much as a boutique bike? I'll be doing mostly trail riding, will probably not get back itno DH....and will be less tempted to do drops and jumps, but still want a bike capable of handling some air time and intermediate freeride stuff.

Wow! Just saw my join date and post count. I'm guessing the post counts got reset at some point. Even though I probably haven't posted in 3 years, I bet I had 2000 posts!

BIG and Bald
    If you decide you want to be in the market for a hardtail you could spend about $1100 and get a Kona Hoss. The specialized P.1 All Mountain seems to be a stable set up $600 w/disc brakes.

Based on the type of riding you decscribed, both bikes will suit just fine. The Hoss has a better parts spec and I think the front hub is a 20mm through axel. The P.1 would be the economical way to go and just upgrade as parts begin to wear down.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Hey Kahuna, I've got the bike for you.

Fork: Marzocchi 55 TST2, 160 mm travel, air spring, rebound, compression, preload adjust and 20 mm tool free axle

Rear Shock: Marzocchi Roco Air R Piggy Back, air spring with rebound adjust and piggy back reservoir. (8.5x2.5")

Crankset: FSA Moto X, 24/36T/bash guard w/ pedal insert

Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo external bearing

Pedals: Crank Brothers Acid

Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore

Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.7 mid cage

Shifters: SRAM X.7 Impulse trigger 9 speed

Freewheel: SRAM PG-950 11-34T 9 speed

Chain: KMC Z-9200 silver/black

Rims: WTB Dual Duty FR, 32

Tires: Kenda 26x2.35 Nevegal DTC, folding bead
    Rear Hub: Shimano FH-M530 disc, 8/9 speed cassette, 32

Spokes: Stainless steel

Nipples: brass UCP

Front Brake: Hayes Stroker Trail hydraulic disc, 180 mm rotor

Rear Brake: Hayes Stroker Trail hydraulic disc, 160 mm rotor

Brake Levers: Hayes Stroker Trail, tool free reach adjust

Handlebar: Funn 6061AL ,30 mm rise, 31.8 mm ,br>

Stem: Funn Rippa 65 mm, 10

And the thing can climb! Man can it climb! All for $1700! What can this miracle of modern technology be you ask? The Mongoose Khyber Elite I know your saying "Mongoose don't they make Wal-Mart bikes now"? I know not the smartest move for a high end bike company. But their mistake is your gain because of their bonehead business decision they have to rebuild their reputation. To do that they have to get their bikes out there so people can see they aren't peices of crap. To do that they have to keep the price down while giving you to best bike they can build. If you buy an 08 right now your going to get your best deal. You might find a cheaper bike, You might find a lighter bike, You might though I doubt it find a stronger bike, But you won't find all in one bike. I hope this helps you.
    God Speed, Mark

Are you gonna eat that?
    I'm 280 and running an Intense 5.5, works great, but I'm more all mountain than downhill.

You really need to specify a budget, I could give you my bike's build (and you could build up a 6.6 SS with similar components) but it'd run you $5k+

Just how much are you looking to spend?
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled