mtbr member

which bike shorts?????

Im a clyde, 6'1" 250 lbs, waist is now 38 snug 40 little baggy, what shorts to you guys wear? I am now wearing some fox ranger shorts their ok but I dont like the the way they ride down in back and I also have problem hanging up on front of my seat sometimes.

I usually wear nike combat compression undies with fox shorts over them. I am thinking of switching to compression style with chamois and wearing slick baskeball shorts over them or maybe a bib undie with basketball shorts.

On shorter street rides I like compressions with baskeball shorts, move well with me while riding, but no chamois thus little monkey butt if I ride to long.

any favorites? suggetsions? I dont wanna spend $100 bucks for shorts I dont like and wont wear, but price is not problem if they fit and ride well.
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"

mtbr member
    I bought some Canari shorts from Sports Authority and rode with them a few times this weekend and really like them. They're compression style with chamois and they are comfy as hell, fit really well, and have great padding. Best of all they were cheap at $40. I have 2 pair of the baggy style shorts with chamois and neither of them fit right so now I just wear the compression shorts with baggy shorts over top.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I'm about the same size now. I got some Enduro Zyme shorts really cheap, like $25. I wear those over good lycra shorts. You're supposed to use the Endura lycras that snap in, but that's more of a pain than it's worth. The Zymes have straps that ratchet down and hold them in place, which means no sagging off the butt. Plus you don't need to wash them but every fifth or sixth time you wear them. Plus, it's a lot easier to wash lycra when it's completely separate from the short. I highly recommend getting a pair of Zymes and half a dozen decent (6 panel at least) lycra shorts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorlando25
    I bought some Canari shorts from Sports Authority and rode with them a few times this weekend and really like them. They're compression style with chamois and they are comfy as hell, fit really well, and have great padding. Best of all they were cheap at $40. I have 2 pair of the baggy style shorts with chamois and neither of them fit right so now I just wear the compression shorts with baggy shorts over top.
    I have seen these at my local Academy sports store, do you have the regular canari or the gel canari?
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I use bibs under a baggie short. I have Pearl and Zoic baggies and swear by the bibs underneath

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I'm about the same size now. I got some Enduro Zyme shorts really cheap, like $25. I wear those over good lycra shorts. You're supposed to use the Endura lycras that snap in, but that's more of a pain than it's worth. The Zymes have straps that ratchet down and hold them in place, which means no sagging off the butt. Plus you don't need to wash them but every fifth or sixth time you wear them. Plus, it's a lot easier to wash lycra when it's completely separate from the short. I highly recommend getting a pair of Zymes and half a dozen decent (6 panel at least) lycra shorts.
    Thanks for the info, I will look into these.
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonerz28
    I have seen these at my local Academy sports store, do you have the regular canari or the gel canari?
    not 100% sure on that. They do not say gel anywhere on them but the padding definitely feels like gel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I love the Canari chamois from Academy. the chamois itself is thin but more comfortable than thicker ones I have in various other brands (LG, Mt Borah, etc).

I've gone away from MTB specific shorts. I really just like the ultra light New Balance or Champion workout shorts paired with the Canari chamois. It's much cooler in the extreme summer heat and have a much better range of motion. Plus, it's way more comfortable having separate chamois and shorts.

mtbr member
    I'm about your size as well. 40 waist in spring, 38 during the season. I recently got my first pair of Endura Humvee 3/4 knickers. I love the fit but can't speak to durability yet. My previous m.o. was to pair a good quality 8 panel lycra cycling short with home made messenger shorts over them. I still have 3 sets made from cheap summer weight military fatigues picked up at an army surplus store. Since I roadbike occasionaly, it's kept me from having to buy multiple types of shorts (the enduras were a gift.)
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

mtbr member
    got some canari shorts from academy, I dont like them, they feel to loose in the crotch and the legs bands are to tight, I also dont like the waistband, too thin. I tried these with my favorite baskeball shorts over them, I probably wont wear them again. im gonna try some other suggestions, im leaning toward bibs
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold