Outback Trail Commission

New question here. Bike Setup for Long Torso

After a long layoff from biking decided to go back and start doing something that at one time I truly loved, MTB ing. While looking into getting my old bike tuned up, I realized that what I had wasn't going to cut it, as I now weighed 285 lbs. Bought an ' 07 Kona Hoss Deluxe (size18") for the frame. One month later I'm wondering what I need to do to make myself more upright. I'm 6'2" and now 275 lbs., but I have 30" legs, thats why an 18" incher. Any ideas on what I should do?

P.S.The problem I'm getting is that so much of my weight is up forward on my handlebars that on landing my front end feels unstable; I have a DJ3 front fork, I want to upgrade to a All MTN1-Marcocchi sometime this winter, but am going for other possible remedies for now.
    Last edited by steelworx; 10-05-2007 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    You seem pretty similar proportions to me (6' & ~31" cycling inseam/30 pant inseam). I'd have gone with a 19" kona for an xc bike, mayb an 18" for more technical... Kona's have longish toptube's for their size compared to many other manufacturers.
    more upright? so, you're feeling stretched out or just want more upright?
    well, longer & higher rise stem is a start, along with a high(er) rise riser bar. Also, moving your seat forward may help.
    many bike shops have 'loaner' stems so you can figure out one more comfy for you, or at least will swap out/help you get the right fit. Dimension & salsa make a decent high rise stem for decent price (ie 130 x 40).
    if you've got any spacers on top of your stem, switch 'em to the bottom.
    here's a link to a site that shows you the effect of different stems in reach & height. http://habcycles.com/fitting.html

I've got an excel spreadsheet too, if you want to fool around with some numbers to figure out what stem you might want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Captain Underpants
    Logbiter, if he was feeling stretched out he would need a shorter stem, not a longer, right? Everything else you said was spot on, though I'd prob leave the spacers in (but granted, you prob don't need them with a riser bar and stem combo)

I'm a firm believer in short stems and a more upright style of riding for most trailbikes (what most people ride). I'm not referring to XC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Logbiter, if he was feeling stretched out he would need a shorter stem, not a longer, right? Everything else you said was spot on, though I'd prob leave the spacers in (but granted, you prob don't need them with a riser bar and stem combo)

I'm a firm believer in short stems and a more upright style of riding for most trailbikes (what most people ride). I'm not referring to XC.
    oh yeah, shorter and taller stem just might make it too short though, so that's why I threw in the chart.
    For instance a salsa or dimension "hi rise" stem (130 x 40) is more like a 70x5 in reach but 3+ inches taller.

for giggles, here's an excel spreadsheet if'n anyone wants it to calculate stem fit & play around with angles vs reach vs height. it doesn't take into effect different stack heights of stems.
    linkage to clary's "bike comparators" for the truly AR types http://www.geocities.com/clary_mtb_info_2/
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Outback Trail Commission
    Was just looking at the Easton Ad-Vice stem and riser bar combo at cambria, anyone know anything about them?

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    oh yeah, shorter and taller stem just might make it too short though, so that's why I threw in the chart.
    For instance a salsa or dimension "hi rise" stem (130 x 40) is more like a 70x5 in reach but 3+ inches taller.
    Yeah, I thought about that as I was stepping out of the shower this morning

That chart is excellent, thanks for posting!