Thread: Bike Seat

mtbr member
    May 2013

Bike Seat

OK , So I rode 16 miles 2 days ago and MAN OH MAN, my own seat hurts.

Whats a good saddle to plant myself on for those long rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had the same problem after getting back to riding, and bought a WTB Rocket V after recommendation from a friend. Have since put about 300 miles on it, and I really like it.

WTB Rocket V Race Bicycle Saddle, Black : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    First of all, you wearing bike shorts? If not, they make a world of difference. Second, how long you been riding? If not long, it takes time to develop biker's arse. Third, is it the stock seat? If so, good chance it's the wrong size. Go to a shop that can measure your sit bones or do it yourself and get the proper sized saddle.

All that said, I'm riding on a Specialized Avatar Gel on both my mtn bike and road bike. Great seat and no issues even at my heaviest of 320 pounds.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    First of all, you wearing bike shorts? If not, they make a world of difference. Second, how long you been riding? If not long, it takes time to develop biker's arse. Third, is it the stock seat? If so, good chance it's the wrong size. Go to a shop that can measure your sit bones or do it yourself and get the proper sized saddle.

All that said, I'm riding on a Specialized Avatar Gel on both my mtn bike and road bike. Great seat and no issues even at my heaviest of 320 pounds.
    I've been riding for a month now. That was the longest I've gone since I've started. Previous longest was 10 miles. It is the stock seat, that's why I need to get a better seat.
    And I was not wearing bike shorts. I can not see me in Bike shorts. Im too big. That would probably not be a nice sight... LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Fwiw they make baggy bike shorts that have padding which helps quit a bit. Even with padded bike shorts you should make sure you have a seat that fits properly. My bike shop actually has a saddle test ride program. Give a deposit and you can demo saddles until you find one you like. Then your deposit goes towards the purchase of your new saddle.

mtbr member
    As far as the shorts, get padded shorts and wear them under whatever shorts you normally ride in. Instead of underwear you wear the bike shorts. They seriously make quite a difference. I wear mine under shorts I buy at Walmart or Costco.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've got a selle anatomica titanico nsx, no complaints. Does take a while to get used to being on a bike seat. Also try adjusting it around some maybe a slight tilt forward. The only soreness should be on your sit bones until you get used to it.

mtbr member
    +1 for both the WTB Rocket V and for the Specialized seats. Agree with getting your hip bones measured, just sitting on a pad. All stores that carry Specialized should have it. Just be aware that some seats have weight ratings. I bent the rails on a seat before I found that out.

Also, bike shorts are a must. As stated, you can do the road shorts, then normal shorts over them. But they also make ones that are basically liners, like what is in the baggy shorts. Cheaper too.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Bike Seat

Love my Fizik Arione. Got it on CL for $40 (normally ~140). It's "wings" flex, it's super light and the fit is great - for me. Every a $$ is different. Trial and error or pay for a fitting. And DEFINITELY wear padded shorts!

turtles make me hot
    WTB Pure V is the big guy saddle of choice in my group.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Find a LBS that has tester seats and give a couple a go. They are such a personal thing. Or I do like the Specialized seat fit gizmo they have.
    As said above - get the cycling shorts and wear them under your normal shorts. They make more difference than just a saddle would do.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Get your sit-bones measured first; do NOT settle for anything narrower than the measured width, and you can easily go a little wider. I personally prefer the "ergo" saddle design (center channel, "normal saddle" has none), and it still took some years to find the right one for me.

Yes, padded shorts help, especially with bigger guys and newer riders; but the right saddle will be the main difference between 'delayed pain' and 'reduced pain'.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Slight changes in saddles make a HUGE difference. I went a few years without riding, then this year put a month on my old saddle thinking once my ass hardened up again it would be fine. Just stayed painful. Switched to a specialized body geometry that was just slightly wider and a bit flatter. World of difference. Im sure i could do even better if i got measured, but i just bought a cheap used BG on ebay and lucked out.

also i tip the nose of my saddle up a few degrees, doesn't look normal, but i find it much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 208Ryder View Post
    I've been riding for a month now. That was the longest I've gone since I've started. Previous longest was 10 miles. It is the stock seat, that's why I need to get a better seat.
    And I was not wearing bike shorts. I can not see me in Bike shorts. Im too big. That would probably not be a nice sight... LOL
    Don't confuse bike shorts with road bike spandex.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the answer!!!!

I did get some Bike shorts with Pads that I wear under my normal shorts. So the spandex versions and it did Help a bunch. I don't think my seat can tilt forward, I'll have to look at it and see. I did get measured, I'm at 165mm minimum, probably 175mm would be best. The LBS i went to doesn't have a loaner program, they have you buy the seat and you can return it as long as its still in re-sell condition. Ill have to check other local stores.