mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bike and rider weight question.

I have not been active on my bike in quite some time. It’s a 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc, size XL. I’m currently 6’4”, 260lbs. I would like to get back to riding again, but want to make sure the bike is safe. The one thing that I do know is that I keep “blowing” the air out of the Manitou Axel Platinum Air fork. Should I move this bike along, and look for something else. I will be riding both trails and some pavement on occasion. Thanks for any thoughts.

Bike specs:

2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc - BikePedia

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The new bikes, with the new parts are really much better then what was available in 2006. I weigh about 265 and am enjoying my 2013 Marin XC8 29. It has Fox suspension parts and I have not had any issues after 500+ miles. Recently converted it to tubeless. I'm not sure I would go with 24 spoke wheels, which came on my bike and have been replaced with 32 spoke wheels, but everything else is very strong.

Get a new, or at least a newer bike. You will enjoy riding more and worry less about your equipment. Also, I was amazed with what the new FS bikes can do. The hydraulic brakes are so good, and the suspension keeps the tires in contact with the ground. I ride down trails that I could never do on my old hardtail with Avid BB7 cable disk brakes.

mtbr member
    you just need newer tech. More and more clyde riders are out there and companies have taken notice. Manitou for instance, now they offer forks that have set ups and springs to fit us big guys for several of their forks. Bike warranties (at least trek) except for their lightest bikes are covered up to 300lbs, wheels now are light yet strong just get 32 or 36h set ups. MTB tech has come around alot and can handle our abuse much better than before. Find a bike that fits and you like in your price range and enjoy with no worries.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!