mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bike recommendation for 290 pounder

Hi,

This is a cross-post from the commuters forum, as suggested by another user.

I'm rather newbie to bike purchasing and bike components. I've never really invested significant
    amounts of money in quality bikes, although this might soon change ...

Here's the deal ... I'm 6"2 and weigh approx 290 pounds. I'd like to get rid of my current cheap
    steel frame mountain bike for an aluminum commuter/hybrid type bike. I'm not looking for a mountain bike.

I do roughly 10 miles every single week day and 30 miles, during some weekends. I don't perform
    any off-road or mountain biking - the worse I could do is some fine grained gravel bike paths.

Ideally, I'd like to get the following features off my new bike:

- Aluminum frame and fork
    - Good quality hydraulic or mechanical disk brakes
    - Good quality shifters as well as the other components
    - Thinner wheels/tires than my current mountain bike (for lesser road friction)
    - Lightweight (to the extent where it can handle my body size)

I don't need front/rear shocks ... Or at least I don't believe I do, unless proven otherwise.

Ideally, I'd like a non-custom bike, but if properly oriented and guided by people from
    this forum, I guess I could also try to have it assembled with the right components at
    my local bike store.

The bikes I've currently identified are the following:

- Kona - Dr. Dew
    - Norco VFR Disc 2

I'm just not sure the different components and actual frames from these bikes are suited
    for my body configuration and typical usage.

I roughly have 1,000$ to 1,500$ I'm willing to spend on this new bike. Any recommendations from anyone?

Other bike suggestions are happily welcome!

Thanking you in advance for your feedback,

mtbr member
    Cyclocross bike maybe? Basically a road bike with semi-offroad tires. You get the lightness and speediness of a road bike but can go on lighter trails like a mountain bike.