Thread: Bike Options

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Bike Options

A little background first, I weighed 165kg (364lb) and decided that it was time to change my life for the better! So i completely changed my diet and started to actively try to lose some weight. I began walk at first until i was able to start jogging and did this for about a year. However as you can imagine the stress on my knees was to much and so i got a bike (kona fire mountain in very bad condition) from a friend to keep up the exercise. Im now down to 122kg (269lb) until the body finally gave way and i ruptured a disk in my back. So by the time i am able to get back on the bike, skiing will have become my main activity for the winter (i live in whistler, BC). In my spare time I've done some research into buying a new bike for next summer as i want to get into some of the more challenging riding around here (have just been doing the paved trails). The options I'm looking at are:

Norco Sight Killer B-3
    Giant Trance X1
    Santa Cruz Blur LT
    Trek Fuel EX8

Would love any feedback/opinions/other recommendations

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well I can tell you the way I ride i need a quality drivetrain and wheels

My short list I was looking at were:

Trek Superfly AL - $2000
    Giant XTC carbon - $2000
    Kona Big Kahuna - $2300
    Surly Ogre - $1500

Now the Ogre comes with a rigid steel fork, steel frame, decent wheelset and parts. All the feedback I've seen is nothing but positive.

My point is if you get parts that limit your performance you're shooting yourself in the foot in terms of the enjoyment you will get out of the activity.