Thread: Bike Jerseys?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Bike Jerseys?

What do you guys were for a bike jersey? I saw a cool jersey at a brewery and almost pulled the trigger but they told me the xxl size was 21.5 inches across meaning it was for someone with a 43in chest i think? any ways I have a 51inch chest so Im guessing that I wont be able to purchase a jersey just anywhere. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    What do you guys were for a bike jersey? I saw a cool jersey at a brewery and almost pulled the trigger but they told me the xxl size was 21.5 inches across meaning it was for someone with a 43in chest i think? any ways I have a 51inch chest so Im guessing that I wont be able to purchase a jersey just anywhere. Any recommendations?
    I wear moto jerseys, You can find them up to size 5xl, but often run smaller than they say so check sizing charts. A 3xl Troy Lee Designs is like an XL with 40"chest..... I use Motorcycle Parts & Gear ? Dirt Bike/MX, ATV, Street Bike & Motorcycle Accessories | MotoSport. If you want a classic style cycling jersey, Mt. Borah makes Big Sizes that will definitely fit you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check out love2pedal.com

They have XXXL ( 50-52" ) sizes.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Tagged. try performancebike.com, nashbar.com, and rei.com
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Cycling jerseys arenot all sized consistently meaning there are different 'cuts' and even the same manufacturer's jerseys can vary in size even if they are supposedly the same size.

Clear as mud, right?

They have something like 'race' cut, and maybe something called a 'club' cut, and maybe a third type called something else. Race cut jerseys are going to be very form fitting (think sausage casing), club cut will be a bit less so, and so on. certain manufacturers also tend to run a bit small or not so you have to learn whose stuff will fit you better.

Elastic waist and sleeves, 3 rear pockets and racy colored graphics are tipoffs that you could be in 'sausage skin' territory :~)

mtbr member
    I mostly just wear old tshirts or technical fabric tshirts (mostly Champion C9 stuff from Target) when I ride. Not sure what I would need an actual 'jersey' for on a mtb -- I always have a pack on, so I don't need pockets.

I do have a few road jerseys for the road bike, as I don't need to carry a camelback and it feels good to ride w/o something on my back. Pearl Izumi XL fits me pretty well (6', 240#), my Novara XL is kinda tight these days. I don't know if their mtb stuff is roughly the same size/cut or not.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    I love twinsix.com jerseys. Cool designs and great fit, but expensive. They have good sales at times though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jesspal View Post
    I love twinsix.com jerseys. Cool designs and great fit, but expensive. They have good sales at times though.
    That sight does look pretty cool but their 3xl is for a 47"-50" chest. OP has a 51" chest.

mtbr member
    Oops

Robtre
    Jerseys seem silly to me, in my neck o' the woods jerseys are for the most part advertising for local shoppes that you have to pay for!! I am not a racer so I see no need for Jerseys. More money to spend on beer

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Jerseys seem silly to me, in my neck o' the woods jerseys are for the most part advertising for local shoppes that you have to pay for!! I am not a racer so I see no need for Jerseys. More money to spend on beer
    I wear Jersey's for the performance aspect. Light breathable fabrics that wick moisture away from the skin so you remain cool and dry. UPF sun protection built into the fabric to protect your skin. Just out of curiosity, do you just wear cotton T-shirts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    I wear Jersey's for the performance aspect. Light breathable fabrics that wick moisture away from the skin so you remain cool and dry. UPF sun protection built into the fabric to protect your skin. Just out of curiosity, do you just wear cotton T-shirts?
    Sure, but all of these qualities are offered in $12 Champion shirts from Target (minus rear pockets). No need to spend $50+ on an 'official' jersey, unless you want to.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How about cycling jackets? Anyone found one long enough for tall guys (6'9")? All the ones I've tried leave my lower back out in the cold!

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I mostly just wear old tshirts or technical fabric tshirts (mostly Champion C9 stuff from Target) when I ride. I always have a pack on, so I don't need pockets.

Same here. Plus I live in an area with a lot of bike snobs, so I try and make it clear that I'm not one of them.

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
    Same here. Plus I live in an area with a lot of bike snobs, so I try and make it clear that I'm not one of them.
    I couldnt have said it better myself

mtbr member
    I wear moto jerseys, You can find them up to size 5xl, but often run smaller than they say so check sizing charts. A 3xl Troy Lee Designs is like an XL with 40"chest..... I use Motorcycle Parts & Gear ? Dirt Bike/MX, ATV, Street Bike & Motorcycle Accessories | MotoSport. If you want a classic style cycling jersey, Mt. Borah makes Big Sizes that will definitely fit you.
    +1

I wear paintball and motorcycle jerseys. 3x and 4x. 4x is baggy on me now, which is how I like it. Even if/when I get back down to XL/2x I'll probably continue to wear moto and paintball jerseys because I prefer my clothes baggy.

Moto jerseys can be found on sale often, I've gotten some of mine for 15-20$. I went ahead and signed up for e-mail alerts from a few of the places I ordered from and so get a heads up when they have them for sale.

mtbr member
    +1

That, and one of my paintball jerseys is actually pretty thick, almost like thin neoprene, which makes it good in wind and rain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Sure, but all of these qualities are offered in $12 Champion shirts from Target (minus rear pockets). No need to spend $50+ on an 'official' jersey, unless you want to.
    I wish I could buy $12 shirts at Target. I unfortunately have a 56" chest and a 42"waist. I can't fit into any of their stuff. I am not a normal sized guy. I personally wear Long sleeve Moto Jersey's (prevents farmer's tan) and Under Armor stuff. The only stuff I can find in 4-5XL. Personally do not like classic cycling jersey's, they are just not my style. I ride with Baggy shorts, 510 shoes, and flat pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wish I could buy $12 shirts at Target. I unfortunately have a 56" chest and a 42"waist. I can't fit into any of their stuff. I am not a normal sized guy. I personally wear Long sleeve Moto Jersey's (prevents farmer's tan) and Under Armor stuff. The only stuff I can find in 4-5XL. Personally do not like classic cycling jersey's, they are just not my style. I ride with Baggy shorts, 510 shoes, and flat pedals.
    Im the same size in the chest and the waist and Performance Bike's house brand jersey fit run big enough in some of their models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Big N Hood Rich View Post
    Im the same size in the chest and the waist and Performance Bike's house brand jersey fit run big enough in some of their models.
    I have tried Performance stuff and their biggest sizes fit my neck, chest and shoulders like compression shirts. I could barely zip up the 3xl to my neck. I tried their long sleeve stuff and my forearms could barely fit in the arms. Just didn't work for me, thanks though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have you tried just some underarmour and a wind vest? Underarmour makes some big stuff and the wind vest you can find in pretty big sizes so you can avoid the sausage look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by efinley View Post
    How about cycling jackets? Anyone found one long enough for tall guys (6'9")? All the ones I've tried leave my lower back out in the cold!
    Sorry bro, I'm having a hard time finding long enough jackets/ jerseys and I'm only 6'6".
    Best thing I've found on the colder days is get a pair of bibs and that way your "crack" is covered too. Everybody wins. Make sure to cover em up with some baggies unless you're racing though!
    Bike Gore (or is it Gore Bike) makes some nice products. I picked up a XXXL jacket and it has long sleeves but not particularly long in the torso.
    Good luck, let us know if you find anything with a longer torso cut.