mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bike for a heavy new rider

Hi, I'm new here and need some help. I've done a ton of searching and reading but I just can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

I used to ride bmx when I was younger so I know a little about bikes. I'm looking for a bike that can take some abuse. I will be using it for some technical trails with alot of rocks roots, fallen trees and a few jumps.

I'm looking for a hard tail but my problem is I'm 5'10" and 250lbs I don't know which bike can take the abuse with my weight on it.

I am open to any suggestions. I was told a kona hoss but its a bit pricey for me. I'm looking for something in the $500-$1000 range. Hopefully on the lower side in that price range. But I know you get what you pay for.

I also posted this in the beginner section but I guess this section is specialized for big riders.

Thanks! ----Mike----

BIG and Bald
    To fit your $$$ range check into the Specialized P.1 All mountain. I looks to be a pretty solid bike with fair parts for the money.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the help! While I was looking at the bike you suggested, I came across a Specialized Rockhopper. Its close in price and I like the way it looks compared to the bright orange p1. But will it handle the weight? I can live with orange if the better looking bike can't handle me.

mtbr member
    just FYI, The P.1 All Mountain also come w/ another Color.. (09 Disc Model)
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqu... Mountain Disc

Have you try looking for the 08 Model of Kona Hoss? it should be under $1K

IMO, @ 250 pound I wouldn't worry to much about it not holding up, unless your doing 3or4'+ drops/jumps
    Like any other "what bike to get thread" fit & comfort is the most important aspect. I would suggest finding a bike w/@ least a Tora Fork, most stock fork is pretty crappy for Heavy Guys... (IMO)

anyway Steel Frame bikes is another Option if your OK w/ the weight.

These are just a few off of my head

Jamis Komodo 1.0 / 2.0
    Diamondback Response Comp
    Gary Fisher Mellet
    Specialized P.1 All Mountain / Rockhoppers

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Hardtail Rider; 03-01-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

BIG and Bald
    You could probably snag an 08 Hoss for about $700-$800. IMO the P.1 AM is Specialized's version of the Hoss. They've had the P.1 series for a few years but only for dirt jumping/bike park type stuff. 2009 is the first P.1 with an XC geometry. I was actually happy (and drooling a bit) when I first saw it but I'm a Hoss addict. I wouldn't mind trying one out though.

Hardtail is correct is saying it's all about fit/feel. Test ride everything you can, narrow it down and test ride some more. (That brown checker paint job is pretty sweet.)

And to answer your ?...the P.1 would be better suited according to the type of riding you mentioned initially. The RockHopper is a solid bike but the P.1 frame is has more beef...like us.

Also, the P.1 comes in different colors. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...=40347&eid=103
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Get a steel hardtail and you will be fine. Get one that fits and that you feel comfortable on. I've been in the 240-260 lbs range for years and never had a problem on a steel hardtail. You may have to update the wheelset eventually, but the rest will hold up. I find aluminum too harsh for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmike14
    Hi, I'm new here and need some help. I've done a ton of searching and reading but I just can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

I used to ride bmx when I was younger so I know a little about bikes. I'm looking for a bike that can take some abuse. I will be using it for some technical trails with alot of rocks roots, fallen trees and a few jumps.

I'm looking for a hard tail but my problem is I'm 5'10" and 250lbs I don't know which bike can take the abuse with my weight on it.

I am open to any suggestions. I was told a kona hoss but its a bit pricey for me. I'm looking for something in the $500-$1000 range. Hopefully on the lower side in that price range. But I know you get what you pay for.

I also posted this in the beginner section but I guess this section is specialized for big riders.

Thanks! ----Mike----
    im a super clyde at 5'11 303... was 330 and i use a 09 Giant Rincon and it holds up great.. i mean.. the bike isnt made for a guy my size but it holds me up good.. im not jumping off like 2foot drops or anything but i have done some of that stuff and the bike is pretty durable.. Im sure if this bike can support me well it will support u even better..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    26 or a 29er bike? Or a 650?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld