mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Bike for a Fatty

Hey Guys im 6'2" 280 trying to loose some weight. hopefully ill end up around the duece and a half mark. wondering what you can suggust for a new bike. I really like the Transition covert or preston by everyone tells me i should look at a 29er. thanks

BIGE

Fat, but working on it...
    How much are you looking to spend? And what kind of riding are you planning on doing?
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    wouldnt mind keeping it around 1500 but im flexible. I do a lot of trail riding but i would also like to be able to comute to work.

Making fat cool since '71
    Some kind of hardtail would be cool for the dual purpose thing. I love (love...) my big squish, but it blows when I use it to commute. My rigid bike works much better as a part-time commuter even though it's really my winter mtb.

Brands? Do a search and this topic is covered scores of times. The Hoss (Kona) is good for fatboys. The Niner bikes are fine as well. Just ride a bunch and go from there. I'm not a Transition fan, but several dewds have enjoyed them.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Are you gonna eat that?
    I would buy a cheaper hardtail until you drop some weight.

I'm the same size as you and I spent $1500 on a dualie a couple years back and broke just about everything.

The transition covert looks like a nice bike, but you're talking $1200 for the frame alone.
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

banned
    I'd probably get something like a rigid Karate Monkey 29er and build it up with decent but strudy parts. Should come in around your price range and as others have stated will be better for commuting. You could just get you some trail tires and also some commuting tires and switch out and the bike would be able to go back and forth between those duties seamlessly. Check Schwalbe for some good 29er commuter tires

Fat guy on a bike
    I'll echo the Karate Monkey choice. I'm thinking of getting one instead of full squish for now.

You can mount cyclocross tires on your 29er and rip up everything! Commute anywhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The leverage ratio on the Covert is 2.75 which is kinda high for an air shock and a big fella like yourself. I am about your size and have always had trouble getting suspension set up properly for my weight.

I have been steered away from 29ers because they currently tend to be built with less heavy duty rims and additionally the spokes are longer, which can lead to wheel flex issues for us really big guys.

I use a hardtail with DH rims(not necessary for all but I smash whatever gets in my way) and a 6 inch fork with platform dampening. I like this setup because it is adaptable. I can bike around town, do XC rides and don't have to shy away from the DH type terrain when it crops up. The platform in my fork is adjustable and lets me make my fork XC stiff or softer for more aggressive days. I like the long forks because they tend to be built for ordinary sized people doing Freeride, meaning perfect for me doing my normal biking.

If you have your heart set on a full squish look for bikes with coil shocks or low leverage ratios, also avoid the DHX air since it usually requires a higher air pressure than its littler siblings like the fox rp23. Oh and it has a main spring pressure limit of 300 PSI, so on most bikes you wouldn't be able to get enough pressure in the spring. Some examples of bikes that have a low leverage ratio would be the JAMIS Dakar, the Foes line of bikes, The transition Preston FR (very heavy), and some of the santacruz bikes. Just a little above your price range is the Complete Heckler which retails for 2000 with a recon air fork.