Poll: What would you do?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Bike choice and Pricing ?

Hey guys, i've been shopping around for my first bike for a while now and i've narrowed it down to three. Giant Yukon, Trek 4500, and the bas Specialized Rockhopper. I rode the Yukon yesterday and loved it. BTW, i'm 6'7" 280lbs so i'm looking at the 24"ers.

Here's my question. Online the Yukon's MSRP is 470, in the LBS they want 520, what's the deal with that? In most retail situations things cost at or less than the MSRP.

Also, of the 3 bikes provided, do any of you have favorites?

Now, here's the good/bad about the bikes.

Yukon:
    My personal choice, it's 24" has disk brakes, 100mm fork, nice looking bike

Trek:
    Also 24", V-brakes, 80mm fork, generic looking IMO

Rockhopper:
    Cool b/c it's specalized haha, 100mm fork, only 23" but the top tube distance is pretty close, also a good looking bike.

Vote vote vote

Whoa, horsey!!!
    I love my Yukon. It's great.

Mine came with better stuff than the competitors in the price range.

IMHO, the other 2 you listed are overpriced. You're buying the name.

As far as the MSRP, maybe they're including an upgrade or 2 in the price. I needed a longer stem for mine and the price went up $20.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No, they are including nothing. It's the stock/base bike. No frills, and no explanation for the price increase upon request other than "we include 3 free tune ups". I think they've just seen me in there shop once a week for the last 2 months, ordered something that they knew i liked and would fit me, and upped the price. Kind of maddening.

Whoa, horsey!!!
    That sucks. And there isn't another Giant dealer near you.

Maybe you could write (or email) Giant and ask what's up?

There are internet dealers out there, but warranty issues could become a real pain, although I've never hada problem with mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think you should try to haggle with them. Also, keep in mind that you have to buy helmet, tubes, patch kit, pump, and second most important item (my opinion) is some bike shorts. See what kind of discount they will give to you when you buy that stuff with the bike. Also, I think the other shops may give you 1 year free tune-ups, instead of three. I went to every shop in my town looking to buy my first bike. The only shop that I liked the way I was treated was the Trek shop. They also, gave me $30 off each bike, and 10%- 25% off all accesories that I bought that day. Of course this may not be normal for every shop so do not expect it, but I feel it is a fair question to ask. Which shop was nicer to you? That will go along way, trust me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    tried haggling. no go. so we'll see what i can do elsewhere.

Whoa, horsey!!!
    Make sure you stop by with your new bike and show them that they aren't getting your money.

One reason I bought my Yukon instead of the GT Avalanche was because my dealer is so totally AWESOME!!!

Too bad you aren't in Modesto. Pro Service Cyclery is the best bike store I've ever dealt with. I visit any bike shop I drive by, but I only buy my (new) stuff from them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Yukon

I got my yukon a couple of days ago and its great. $500.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Whoa, horsey!!!
    Specs

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Frame: </TD><TD>6061 Aluminum Hardtail</TD></TR><TR><TD>Seatpost: </TD><TD>Alloy Micro Adjust</TD></TR><TR><TD>Stem: </TD><TD>Alloy, 25.4mm</TD></TR><TR><TD>Crankset: </TD><TD>FSA Dyna Drive, 42/32/22T Alloy</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bottom Bracket: </TD><TD>FSA Power Drive</TD></TR><TR><TD>Brakes: </TD><TD>Hayes MX4 Mechanical Disc w/ 6” rotor</TD></TR><TR><TD>Wheelset: </TD><TD>Hubs: Alloy, QR 32H; Rims: WTB MTX 2.4 Disc</TD></TR><TR><TD>Chain: </TD><TD>KMC Z-72</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fork: </TD><TD>Marzocchi MZ Comp, 100mm travel</TD></TR><TR><TD>Handlebar: </TD><TD>MTB Aluminum Riserbar, 620mm wide, 30mm rise, 25.4mm clamp diameter</TD></TR><TR><TD>Rear Shock: </TD><TD>NA</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tires: </TD><TD>Ninja 26” x 2.10"</TD></TR><TR><TD>Front Derailleur: </TD><TD>Shimano FD-C050</TD></TR><TR><TD>Rear Derailleur: </TD><TD>Shimano RD-M410</TD></TR><TR><TD>Shifters: </TD><TD>Shimano STM405</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cassette: </TD><TD>SRAM PG-830, 11-34T, 8-speed</TD></TR><TR><TD>Levers: </TD><TD>Tektro RS360A</TD></TR><TR><TD>Headset: </TD><TD>Threadless Steel, 1 1/8”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pedals: </TD><TD>Wellgo B-81 Alloy Platform</TD></TR><TR><TD>Grips/Tape: </TD><TD>WTB</TD></TR><TR><TD>Saddle: </TD><TD>WTB Speed V Sport SE

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TH>size</TH><TD>M: 14", 16", 18", 20", 22", 24" </TD></TR><TR><TH>color</TH><TD>Gloss Black/Brushed, Anthracite/Black</TD></TR><TR><TH>frame</TH><TD>ALUXX SL butted aluminum</TD></TR><TR><TH>fork</TH><TD>SR Suntour XCR Magnesium 100mm Travel w/Preload Adjust</TD></TR><TR><TH>shifters</TH><TD>Shimano Alivio</TD></TR><TR><TH>front derailleur</TH><TD>Shimano Acera</TD></TR><TR><TH>rear derailleur</TH><TD>Shimano Deore</TD></TR><TR><TH>brakes</TH><TD>Hayes MX4 Disc 6" Rotor</TD></TR><TR><TH>brake levers</TH><TD>Alloy 2 finger</TD></TR><TR><TH>cassette</TH><TD>SRAM PG830 11-32 8-speed</TD></TR><TR><TH>chain</TH><TD>KMC Z72</TD></TR><TR><TH>cranks</TH><TD>TruVative ISO Flow 22/32/42T</TD></TR><TR><TH>bb</TH><TD>TruVativPowerspline</TD></TR><TR><TH>rims</TH><TD>WTB Dual Duty, double wall</TD></TR><TR><TH>hubs</TH><TD>Formula 32H Disc</TD></TR><TR><TH>spokes</TH><TD>Stainless steel 14G</TD></TR><TR><TH>tires</TH><TD>Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal 26 x 2.1", Kenda K-Rad 26x2.1" on Anthracite/Black model</TD></TR><TR><TH>handlebar</TH><TD>Alloy 31.8mm, high rise</TD></TR><TR><TH>stem</TH><TD>Alloy 31.8, 10° rise</TD></TR><TR><TH>seatpost</TH><TD>Alloy 30.9x350</TD></TR><TR><TH>saddle</TH><TD>Giant Giant DJ on Anthracite/Black</TD></TR><TR><TH>pedals</TH><TD>Alloy Platform</TD></TR><TR><TH>extras</TH><TD>chainguard

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They look pretty similar to me, but don't mistake my responce for even pretending to know. I'm too new this time around.

The biggest thing is that it's really hard to sit on an internet bike before you buy it. I'm only 5'10", but I have a long upper body. I felt a bit cramped on the Iron Horse bikes I sat on. The Giant was really the only one in my price range that felt good, and once my dealer put the longer stem on, it was perfect.

Test riding bicycles is extremely critical. There's no point in spending any money on a bike if you don't ride it. Very small changes in geometry can change the entire feel of a bike. 2 nearly identical bikes can feel so different that one will be completely unridableto you and another will be perfect. And the reverse may be true for the next person.

You really need to stay away from bikes you haven't tried in person. There's nothing wrong with gettingthe best price you can for something if the LBS is jacking you around. If they're good to you, be loyal. Otherwise,

mtbr member
    I'd try to hunt down a Kona dealer myself Kona made this bike for cyldesdale's
    a bit pricy maybe but overall worth the money, just check out the spec's!

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/H...UXE/index.html
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    ~Kierkegaard

mtbr member
    May 2007
    by "a bit pricey" you meant to say more than double my budget right? I'd love to be able to buy a bike like that, but i just dont see it happening, and it only comes in 22" While the top tube is 25.1" regardless it's out of my financial grasp. I want to get something for this summer, so i can get into some sort of shape.... other than round. I guess i'll just get the Giant, or i could slowly build my own. but i hear that's not frugal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    if your thinking of online purchase take a look at ibexbikes. many options in your price range. im 6'4" 380 and my ignition held up on road stock. after upgrades it has held up very nicely off road includeing small drops... they have a 29er for 999.
    www.ibexbikes.com
    alpine 550 hardtail - 499.00
    Frame: 6061 Aluminum
    Fork: Manitou Axel Super Lockout w/ Air* 80mm
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Crankset: Shimano Alivio (42/32/22T)
    Cassette: Shimano HG50 8-spd (11-32T)
    Chain: Shimano HG40
    Brakes: Hayes MX-4 Mechanical Disc Brakes
    Levers: Hayes HML
    Rims: WTB SpeedDisc Double-Wall
    Hubs: Formula
    Tires: WTB VelociRaptor - 26" x 2.10
    Headset: Aheadset STS-2K
    Cockpit Set: UNO Alloy
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
    Pedals: Wellgo Platform w/ Toe-Clips
    Last edited by merchant; 05-30-2007 at 07:26 AM.
    IBEX Ignition, 05 Marzocchi DJ1 Outlaw wheels 2.3 tires Saint Crank ATACzPedals LX Drive Train w11-34 185mm BB7&SD5 30lbs

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I dont know about buying one of those ibex bikes without riding it beforehand. I'm in a pickle

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have to vote for other and here she is.
    http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=14&itemid=218

Are you gonna eat that?
    My first real mountain bike was a Specialized Hard Rock, it's now 4 years old and must have 8 or 9,000 miles on it, the frame is totally bomb proof, sadly, the wheels aren't, but those are the only parts I've replaced in that time.

I still ride it 2-3 times a week as a training bike (my employer is flexible about my lunch "hour" ), definitely a solid bike.

One thing to remember though, at your budget you'll be looking at coil forks, on an air fork you can just pump it up (although cheaper air forks will also just blow out - ask me how I know), but make sure that whatever bike you go for has stiffer fork springs to handle the extra weight - otherwise you'll just end up cranking the preload up so high you might as well be riding a rigid.

Freshly Fujified

I like Hellcat's recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by HellCat
    I have to vote for other and here she is.
    http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=14&itemid=218
    DB bikes are underrated by the MTB community and represent an excellent value as a result. The DB response has a pretty beefy, gusseted frame, and a nice component spec. If it's a similar price to the Yukon, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    DB bikes are underrated by the MTB community and represent an excellent value as a result. The DB response has a pretty beefy, gusseted frame, and a nice component spec. If it's a similar price to the Yukon, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Bob
    Couldn't agree more they are a great value and come with some good stuff for about $650.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    it's only a 22" and i'm 6'7" remember? i'll see if we have a local vendor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

DB Response

As a fellow tall clyde, (6'8" and 240lbs) I would go for the DB Response. That's a fairly burly bike for a decent price. We bigguns need to buy a strong frame. Wheels and drivetrains will come and go, but a strong frame will stay.

bigE

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_kyle
    it's only a 22" and i'm 6'7" remember? i'll see if we have a local vendor.
    Well bro i am 6'.6" and it seems to fit me good so it should work for you.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i shall take a look/see

mtbr member
    Alot of bike company's do carry some jump bikes that can double as trail bikes that might be in your price range as well.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    ~Kierkegaard

mtbr member
    May 2007
    like what? and will they meet my size requirements?

mtbr member
    They should even jump bikes come in the biggers sizes just like the other bikes.

Giant has the STP. Some of the jump bikes have street tires so you'll need to swap them out. Haro has some really nice jump bikes that double has trail bikes. Most bike companies carry them.
    ~Kierkegaard

mtbr member
    May 2007
    for 500?

mtbr member
    To be honest I'm not sure but last time I looked at Haro they were $550.00 not sure about the other. Remember pretty much all bike lines have jump bikes. So you got a wide sprectum there.
    ~Kierkegaard

Members who have read this thread: 0