Thread: bike choice

6foot7

bike choice

I am 6'7" 260 and looking for a fs bike. I am on a hardtail atm. I love the 29ers and want a fs and not sure what bike to get. My budget is 3000, I am looking at the rumblefish1. But I saw that giant released some new fs sleds, the anthem x 29 2 is the one I am looking at from them. Has anyone rode both or either that has any comments on either? I like giant more than trek but the trek has the DRCV shock I have heard alot of good press about it.
    Last edited by sirsquashalot; 05-26-2011 at 11:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsquashalot View Post
    I am 6'7" 260 and looking for a fs bike. I am on a hardtail atm. I love the 29ers and want a fs and not sure what bike to get. My budget is 3000, I am looking at the rumblefish1. But I saw that giant released some new fs sleds, the anthem x 29 2 is the one I am looking at from them. Has anyone rode both or either that has any comments on either? I like giant more than trek but the trek has the DRCV shock I have heard alot of good press about it.
    Squash-
    Did you end up with the Anthem. I am 6'7" and am thinking about it.

Eric

mtbr member
    Eric, XL Anthems are very tough to get hold of right now. I've been waiting a month and a half for mine, but the shop tells me it should be here this week. I'm not sure the XL would be an ideal size for you, but maybe the OP will chime in. It's quite an old thread though.

6foot7
    I went back to looking at Spesh again. But I am glad you said giant, the Trance 29er came out. I need to look at that, I have been a Giant fan since day one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm 6foot 6 and only 190. The anthem is too weak a bike for a clyde. Broke the frame in a month or two

Was prolly my fault tho

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Kevin, if it was probably your fault, you should tell us what you did. And post pictures. For what it's worth, I know a guy who weighs about 210 and races who rides an anthem and hasn't broken it.

On the other hand, I've broken several frames, although no giant frames (yet - because I haven't owned one) and I can say that without a doubt, I was abusing them when they broke. The upside to breaking a giant frame - lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It was my first bike, didn't wreck. I dented the downtube and cracked the top tube. Was going to fast down a technical section, not sure the exact moment, but I was riding pretty hard. Noticed it the next day.It was a month old back in 2010. They said it looked too much like a bike rack wreck, so they couldnt warranty it.

I'm not knocking giant as a company, just as a clyde, a trance or a gusseted non race bike would be a stronger choice.

Ride on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    I'm 6foot 6 and only 190. The anthem is too weak a bike for a clyde. Broke the frame in a month or two

Was prolly my fault tho

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2
    i am going to be looking for another bike also, I hope to never break a frame :O

mtbr member
    Interesting. My Anthem arrived at my LBS yesterday - which makes it one day short of 2 months from when I ordered it. At 6'3" and 210, and being notoriously hard on frames, it'll be interesting to see how it holds up.