mtbr member
    Apr 2009

bike buying advice

I am going to buy my first mountain bike and am looking for advice and suggestions.
    I am 237 lbs, 5' 11" tall and 53 years old. I would probably be riding mild single track, unpaved rail trails and fire roads. I'm looking to spend $450 to 650. I've been riding a trek recumbent, but it's a long drive to decent paved rail trails.

mtbr member
    If you like your Trek, take a look at their 3 or 4 series of mountain bikes. I'm sure that I'm going to be proven wrong, but with the type of riding you're going to be doing, your weight shouldn't be an issue. I'd change my tune if you were 100lbs heavier or were planning on doing freeride or something. Also check out Specialized, Giant, Gary Fisher, Haro, etc etc. Just about any brand that an LBS will carry should be sufficient. Good luck.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    at your height you might like a 29er... check out the redline d440... it's on the high end of your price range... but it's a very versitle bike... i've got mine setup as more of a road oriented bike these days... but it holds it's own out on the single track...

that being said... seriously there are TONS of options in your price range... but IMHO spending towards the top of your range would be a good investment... that money goes a long way for a better frame and components.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Underskilled
    I think the Kona Hoss is a recomended entry level clyde bike, I don't know too much about it as I tend to play at the other end of the price ranges

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    for what he's talking about a HOSS would be overkill... also out of his price range bya good chunk... heck depending on the kind of single track you're riding you could possibly even get away with a hybrid type bike... but what kind of MTBer would I be if i recommended that ;-)

head to your LBS and see what they recommend in your price range...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll throw in a good word for Giant, my first "real" mountain bike was their Boulder model (also their lowest of the low end.) It held up awesomely under my then 295+lbs with less maintenance than it deserved.

Another thing to include in your budget is a helmet, probably the most important bike related investment you can make. Other things are bike shorts, they make a huge difference in comfort on a ride, and a way to keep yourself hydrated, either a bottle in a cage or a hydration pack (CamelBak and similar)

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    good points...

and i'll also mention I was very happy on a giant... back in the mid 90s right as I was getting into MTBing and before I owned one... I worked at a rental center on a military base ... we had a fleet of giant sedonas (back when they where real MTBs and not hybrids)... they got beat pretty hard (military guys) but never gave us any greif...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie