mtbr member
    Jul 2014

big man riding..new guy riding...looking for help

hi,

so i'm a big guy, but i recently had knee and ankle surgery which caused me to get even bigger. I've recently started swimming and changing my diet, and my doctor told me i should add riding to my repertoire.

I've been looking and researching, so I knew i needed something with a sturdy frame. I went to my LBS and asked them for some advise and they looked a bit perplexed and then took me over to their fat tire bike section.

i wasnt sure if they were being serious/jerky or if they were unsure and perplexed...they guy that was helping me looked young and new to the job.

I'm 430lbs, 5'10 looking for a sturdy ride that will mostly be used in the city, getting me back and forth to the gym and school. if possible i'd like to keep it under 700-800$.. the fat tire they showed me was $650 SPIDER-AT...

super grateful for any help/guidance

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Good for you for deciding to make some lifestyle changes!

Lots of threads here with similar questions, so I'd recommend searching through them.

But to give you a little head start (and my own opinion) given your weight and your budget, I don't think you can afford to get a suspension bike that would be better than a bike without suspension, so unless you have a friend who can help you find a good used bike I'd go with a fully rigid bike.

It sounds like you didn't have a good experience with your local bike shop (LBS) so I'd try a different shop. Ideally you'll find someplace that makes you feel comfortable with what they are recommending and why and you'll have an ongoing (business) relationship with them.

However, I'll be blunt here, at 430lbs you're on the high end of the weight spectrum for people who ride bicycles, so they may not have a great deal of experience catering to you or products designed for what you need.

If there isn't another LBS to check out, or if you don't find one that you like, I'd seriously consider a bike from REI or LLBean because of their warranty. They don't sell high end bikes, but that isn't what you're looking for right now, and the main thing is that you can't really make a big mistake buying with them since you can just return it. For REI you have 1 year to return it, but you should know within that time if it meets your needs.

If I were you I'd look at this bike in particular due to the steel frame, 36 spoke wheels and relatively low price:
    Novara Buzz Bike - 2014 at REI.com

Other options might be:

Men's Sport Tour Bike: Commuter and Fitness Bikes at L.L.Bean

Marin Muirwoods 29er Bike - 2014 at REI.com

Cannondale Bad Boy Commuter Bike - 2014 at REI.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thankS! Ill do some more searching, and ill check out those links... as to the fat tire bikes... should that be something i look into too... or are those just no good for bigger riders?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balto78 View Post
    I'd seriously consider a bike from REI or LLBean because of their warranty. They don't sell high end bikes,
    Just to clarify, REI at least, does sell higher end bikes. I bought my Cannondale Synapse Carbon from REI and they also sell the Cannondale SuperSix EVO.

As far as a fat bike...I don't think they are any better suited for you than a good solid mountain bike or commuter bike. The fat tires may offer some extra plushness to the ride but I have not idea how a fat bike would perform under your weight. I have no experience or interest in them so I've never really looked into them.

I'd probably look at something steel and rigid like suggested. 36 spoke wheels will be recommended. Make sure they are properly built or you'll have lots of issues with them. You may also want to upgrade the saddle and seatpost. Those are two other areas really big riders usually have issues. Thomson makes the best seatpost on the market as far as strength. Saddles, you'll probably want something with steel rails to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The fat tire bikes are made for riding in snow or in beach sand. I don't know if they work better for bigger riders, but I don't really see why they would? I would think the tires would have more rolling resistance, so not as good as a road bike tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Just to clarify, REI at least, does sell higher end bikes.
    Wow, you're right, they do sell high end bikes. There's one right near me that I've been in many times and never seen anything particularly 'nice' so I assumed that was the segment of the market that they targeted, but after you said that I looked at their website more closely and they do have a number of higher end options. Cool

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think you have to order the nicer bikes. They don't carry them in the stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.