mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Big guys...a little help plz :)

after some forum searching, I think i found the right group. i just need a few questions answered by other ppl who are 300+ guys.

I already know what size bike i need, however I have no experience with this stuff and i dont want to drop $1000.00, to wreck a bike and ruin it because i weigh too much.

I read about some shocks wearing out after 170 lbs and such and that kinda stuff scares me because Im 2x that weight...Im not rich and it took me a while to save up this cash.

I found this bike

IBEX BICYCLES

Will this bike support my weight trail riding? theres a lake near by me that has some decent sized hills, creeks to cross, rocks and some of the area is pretty rough. on a scale of 1 - 10, (1 being my driveway, and 10 being a professional course) I think its a 3 or 4.

If this is not a good choice, why? what parts should i be looking for? (frame material and shockcs, brakes ect)

Like i said, I did do some searching. a few hours actually. But this is all a different language to me. I'd be happy if you said:

"I am 6' and weight over 300lbs and I ride this and it's in your price range and holds up just fine"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your weight requires an air fork if you want to use front suspension. The best one is a Manitou Tower Pro.
    Manitou Tower Pro Fork for Clydesdales - Techical

mtbr member
    That would work. I too am over 300lbs and ride a Carve. I had a 2010 hardrock disk that was spec'ed close to that bike and I still ride it sometimes. The fork does not lock out and I spend most of the at about 75mm of the 80 it gives. It also has X5 drivetrain, I had to get the BB tightend once but that was about it. The rims held up and it is fun to ride for a 26er. They still have the 2013's that are 29er's for about $600 with disc brakes.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big guys...a little help plz :)-bike.jpg  

2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Breaking a bike will depend on how hard you ride it. Buy what you cannot afford now and always have money stashed for when you break, crash!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I haven't heard much good about these rims (Alex DP17), so that looks like a weak point. Ditto on the air vs spring fork, or try to find a bike with a locking fork at least. I'm at 320 lbs now, and the lower end forks I tried didn't instill much confidence.

mtbr member
    Rockshox hasn't made the Dart 3 fork in several years. If that's a new bike it's build with old parts.
    He who dares....wins!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The only (that I have found) bike store supported bike around the $1000 that comes with an air fork is the Trek Cobia. The other major mfgs still have coil forks at this price point. Let me be clear on this....

A coil sprung fork is not going to work for you.

You will be MUCH better served by an air sprung fork either as an original part on the bike or as an upgrade. I went from an old coil sprung Judy Race (OLD bike) to a Reba on my current ride..... they don't even compare.

I will also say.... the Dart is pure crap. You will be able to watch the legs of it distort under your weight... my wife has a Dart 3 on her bike and it flexes under her (and she is a scant 125).... it is a lousy fork.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    The only (that I have found) bike store supported bike around the $1000 that comes with an air fork is the Trek Cobia. The other major mfgs still have coil forks at this price point. Let me be clear on this....

A coil sprung fork is not going to work for you.

You will be MUCH better served by an air sprung fork either as an original part on the bike or as an upgrade. I went from an old coil sprung Judy Race (OLD bike) to a Reba on my current ride..... they don't even compare.

I will also say.... the Dart is pure crap. You will be able to watch the legs of it distort under your weight... my wife has a Dart 3 on her bike and it flexes under her (and she is a scant 125).... it is a lousy fork.
    If he is able to purchase something with a Suntour fork he can do the upgrade program and get an air fork at cost. I got a Trek Cali for my girlfriend and upgraded to the Raidon which is a very nice fork for $175.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAP_Pete View Post
    I haven't heard much good about these rims (Alex DP17), so that looks like a weak point. Ditto on the air vs spring fork, or try to find a bike with a locking fork at least. I'm at 320 lbs now, and the lower end forks I tried didn't instill much confidence.
    They are totally a weak point. I was 220 lbs when I repeatedly bent those wheels. Personally, I'd put the money towards a nice used bike. Look for something with Sun rims or DT Swiss. I've had good luck with those. I really like the Kona hardtails. Usually equipped stronger with heavier parts.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Super Clyde
    An air fork is a definite must. I bought a coil sprung fork, non lock out fork when I weighed 225 and it was horrible. I upgraded to a RS Tora Solo Air with a remote lock out, and the difference is night and day. I think the RS Recon Gold is about what the Tora was these days. I have it pumped up to 180 lbs, and it works the way it should for my 350 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok. I really appreciate all the help guys!

I went to the local bike shop and after about 3 hours of riding different things I ended up getting a Kona Kahuna hardtail.

Though I really like the the way the steel kona unit felt, it was only one speed, and it did not have front shocks. It was really awesome though. Had i a little more to spend I probably would have bough it and upgraded it with air fork. but I was looking at much more than i wanted to spend doing that.

So i got out the door with a used (practically new) Kahuna for just over 700 bucks. and i spent the rest on gear from amazon. shoes, shorts, ect.

Speaking of shorts, is there a plus size shorts maker u guys recommend?

Again thanks for all the help!

I will update with my first ride soon!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi Murph,

can I ask how tall you are and what your inside leg measurement is? and also what size frame you went with?

Thinking of getting the Kona Kahuna myself, big discounts for the 2012 bike, but its off the internet so can't try them out - can't decide between the 19" or the 20"