Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Big Guys 270+ What Are You Riding?

im wondering what the big guys (270+) are riding, what kind of riding and how well it is holding up...

what'ya got...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    hey im 310 right now, 6'8" college OL, and i ride a trek 3700 with uprgaded components. it has held up well to the xc/trail type riding i do. so far the stock seat rails bent but it was heavy so glad to be rid of it and had a crash that bent the derailleur hanger but other than that its been great

you do this at my size
    Riding a XL 2006 Monocog 29er, with a Vassago ODIS fork, stock wheels. At 295 it has held up well for the last 2 years of XC riding. The wheels may be heavy by most standards, but I've never had to true them. The frame so far has been bomb proof.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

mtbr member
    Yeti 575..had it for the last two years, and its held up quite well..it's alot o fun.
    btw..I'm 6'1"..and weigh around 270

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Been riding and 06 Marin Bobcat Trail since July 08. I bent the stock seat rails but I was sitting when should have been standing. Broke the rear der. and bent the hanger, chain and six spokes but that was the rocks fault. Wheels are true well the rear one is not right now but I have not had it into the LBS to have it fixed yet, still waiting for parts to come in. Other than that it is holding up pretty good. Oh yeah and I weigh in at about 395# and do just xc/trail riding and commute on it also.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    around 300#... karate monkey with tora, and a mostly stock redline d440... XC...

29ers are great
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

6'6" 285

I am currently riding a Dos Niner 1x9 home build, and a recently purchased Outcast 29 for shits and giggles. I love the Salsa what a beautiful bike it is a joy to ride. I don't ride anything too crazy but here in the Northeast the roots and rocks will rattle a bike to death but the Salsa takes anything I throw at it. What ever you decide enjoy it and just ride, PEACE.

P.S. The Salsa is a XXL and the Outcast is a 22"

Are you gonna eat that?
    6'2" and 280 right now, riding an Intense 5.5, Fox TALAS 32, XTR crank & drivetrain and Industry Nine Enduro wheels.

So far so good

Have only had a couple of rides on the wheels so far but they've taken a fair battering and they're holding up great.
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am 6'6" 270, I have been riding a SC Heckler with a DHX 5.0 coil for about 2.5 years. I do a little XC type riding, but mostly look for steeper trails with drops and stunts. It has seens some DH and jump park action as well. The main upgrades I got were bigger rotors, stronger cranks since mine blew up pretty fast and a 20mm thru axle fork (Van 36). I have been very happy with the bike since it is very reliable, easy to maintain and does just about anything I ask. I did take it to a resort (northstar) and felt that I was pushing it as far is I could. I now have a VP Free with a DHX 5.0 coil/Fox 40 for DH/shuttle days. I haven't spent enough time on that bike to give a good review, but so far it is a great DH bike.
    Big guys need bikes too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    6 foot 245 and ride a 08 fuel EX9 and it takes 4' drops to flat

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    floggus... is the heckler the newer mode or older? how much travel? what travel fork is it made for?... i've been lusting after a heckler seance the 90's...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    6ft, bout 315 - rode an 08, and now on an 09 giant rincon.
    the bike is strong, and hasnt given me any problems. i really enjoy it
    Mostly ride xc/trail with a few small drops, and i like to bunny hop

BIG and Bald
    '06 Kona Hoss

Been riding it since November of '05 at a fluctuating weight of 350-400 lbs. Semi-agressive trail riding including some rocky/rooty trails and ocassional drops around 2 feet. Haven't had to do anything to it 'cept for tune ups. The frame is solid and stiff with little to no wasted flex. The Hoss is a solid as they come and quite affordable being under $1100!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    6'-2" 275lbs on a Trek 4500 with BB7's f/r

Ride strictly singletrack and looking for a bit more cushioning for the bumpy sections so I'm building up a Fuji Diamond RC now.

With the exception of the shifting, it's been bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My Heckler is an '06...just before the newest model came out. It has 5.5 inches travel and the '07+ has 6". They say it's optimized for a 140mm travel fork, but anything between 120 and 160 will work. I run a 160mm fork and like it better than the 140 it came with. I am tall, so having a higher front end isn't a liability for me.
    Big guys need bikes too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i was 307 now i am down to 263, im riding a 08 Santacruz Chameleon i built its holding up great.

mtbr member
    What kind of riding are you looking to do?

I'm 6'6" 280ish riding an XL '08 Stumpy 29er FSR (has been "D"-line ). Love the bike. She's pretty stiff and other than a needed wheel upgrade she's great. I pancaked the front stock DT Swiss 470 wheel and rebuilt it with a Salsa Semi. So far so good. I'm looking to get a hand built set soon with 36 spokes and Flow rims. Still deciding on hubs. Was looking at I9's but the aluminum spokes won't do so well on the East Coast sticks, roots and rocky terrain.

Oh yeah, I'm not a skilled rider so I really abuse the bike. Always amazed at how much she can take.

Pro Slacker
    Feb 2008
    6'5" 290lbs riding a '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. Held up great for one season of XC. Thinking about a SC Bullit for a FS bike for next season. HT was just to see if I'd like it, I'd still be riding if snowboarding didn't take up all my free time in the winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    5'9 270lbs on a 2008 Cannondale F7 disc (newbie). Rims could be stronger. Can't get up most hills, so I don't notice anything wrong with the drivetrain components -____-

Holding up well, though.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    6'5" 2160 w/o gear but i carry up to about 20 lbs of stuff most of the time.

bike one
    tomac carbide xc
    2009 SID team fork
    sram x9/xtr drive train
    hope pro2/sun ds-1 wheels
    25.0 lbs

bike two
    kolly delerium t
    fox float 36
    shimano XT drive train
    hope pro2/mavic EN521 wheels
    36.7 lbs

the tomac is going on about a year now and is holding up just fine. i have preformed pretty much no maintenance on it besides tube changes and lubing the chain.

the knolly is really new to me only about 2-3 months old but has all the makings of lasting a good long time. i use this as a heavy weight AM slash light to mild FR bike. it will probably see drops as big as 5-7 feet and do to the DH parks on occasion

R.I.P. DogFriend
    6' 5" currently 265lbs, but as high as 300lbs 1.5 years ago.

Been riding:

a) 2005 Giant Reign for 2.5 years with a Marz All Mountain 1 w/RC2x upgrade, self-built Mavic 321 rims w/XT rear hub and Marz QR20 front hub wheelset, Race Face Evolve DH crankset. Since I'm 50, I'm not an animal, but not exactly criusing buff singletrack either including several days of lift assisted riding in Big Bear although I'm mostly climbing for my vert.. Holding up well, but have replaced the stock pivot bearings with Enduro bearings(as most do that ride their Giant Maestros hard and often),

b) Recently acquired a NOS (new old stock) 2003 Kona Nunu hardtail equipped with a RS Tora Solo Air and self-built Mavic 223 w/XT hub wheelset & Race Face Evolve XC crankset. I use this for the times I do fire road climbs with less technical descents. So far, so good, but it's only a few months old.

I estimate about 120+/- days of riding in the past year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    6' 7" and around 280 lbs, Ride a Turner XXL 5 spot and a custom Mikkelsen HT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i ride a (don't laugh) santa cruz superlight D. It also has a RS Recon 80-130mm that is different than stock. it has a few hundred cross country miles over the past year with jumps of no more than 3-4 ft. I'm now in the high 260's and has held up great.

turtles make me hot
    For years I rode a Cannondale M700 with Mavic 217 rims laced with 14 gauge spokes and a Manitou shock. I weighed as much as 280 on that bike. Now I ride a Stumpjumper FSR 29er and I'm riding it more so my weight has fallen to 255.
    I like turtles

Captain Underpants
    260#, ride a Turner RFX. Bulletproof.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast