mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Big guy trying to buy a nice bike that wont break.

Hi, i am trying to get back into riding from a 10yr break since highschool. I'm 6foot4 and around 320lbs. I was at my lbs and was tryin to find a bike that will handle my weight and still offer me the options of doing some trail riding in the future. The guys at the shop recommended the following bikes:

06 Norco Six 2 or 3
    06 Kona Colier
    06 Kona Hoss Dlx

They say the bikes can be setup for my weight but one thing that will really be dissappointing is buying a bike and everytime i try to go for a ride something breaks because of my fat ass lol. Id love to get into a FS bike but its kinda hard to beleive it can take my wieght. Im hopeing to drop weight pretty fast now that im not in university anymore and im eating decent food. I know the Hoss is a good bike but in 4 months time am i gonna be kicking myself for not buyin the FS bike i really wanted? Any feedback and input would be greatly helpful. IF anyone knows things/ways that these bikes should be setup to maximize them handleing my weight please drop a comment.

Thanks in Advance

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The Hoss Dee-Lux is a good and solid bike. I know what you're saying about buying a HT now and in a short while wanting a FS. With that in mind, If I were you I would buy the Kona Coiler or if you prefer a bike that will climb better, look at the Kona Dawg. I believe that a guy your size can not go wrong with either of these bikes from Kona. Good luck and have fun riding.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by nfbiker
    I was at my lbs and was tryin to find a bike that will handle my weight and still offer me the options of doing some trail riding in the future. The guys at the shop recommended the following bikes:

06 Norco Six 2 or 3
    06 Kona Colier
    06 Kona Hoss Dlx
    I own the Hoss (5' 11", 260lbs) and I would definitely recommend it. Those Norco's do look pretty nice, though. If you can get proper springs installed the full-suspension will probably work out great. Personally, even though I own a Kona, I would go for the Norco (is that a Horst link I see?) before the Coiler. JMO.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 06-01-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Not because I'm fast.....

Hoss

I think the Hoss is a great option for you to start with. Plus, you will learn to be a better rider on a hardtail, and after you lose some weight, you might just want to reward yourself with a nice heavy duty FS bike at some point. I think at your current weight though, the performance of most off the shelf FS bikes with stock suspension setups will perform poorly. Congratulations on getting back in the saddle!!

mtbr member

Kona Hoss to Norco Six One

I am 6'9" 250 lbs and bought a '05 Hoss (should have bought the delux) after a few upgrades, replacements the bike has treated me well. Riding a hardtail helps with learning the technical stuff and is easier to climb and get in shape with. If I was just starting to ride again I would buy another Hoss delux with Hydraulic brakes, ask for an 8" rotor on front.

I had the Hoss for about 8 months and just bought a Norco Six One, the Hoss just can't take drops. The Norco Six One comes pretty big, 21" with a 24.4 top tube, it is a big bike. I am changing the rear shock to a DHX5 with a heavier spring, stock is too small. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...51#post1920751
    Last edited by bigdibbs; 06-02-2006 at 12:26 AM.
    "Hold on and Point it"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If i did get one of the FS bikes the bike shop said they would retune the shocks to my weight. Just wondering if their is compnets for the shocks to take my weight.

mtbr member
    If i did get one of the FS bikes the bike shop said they would retune the shocks to my weight. Just wondering if their is compnets for the shocks to take my weight.
    They can order stronger springs but they only go so high, I am at 250 lbs and that max's out Fox shock at an 800 lb spring. The shocks can only take so much pre-load air pressure as well. They could probably get it pretty close.

The components I had to change on my Hoss (not a delux) due to breakage where the stock Alex rims on the Hoss, the stock BB and crankset, seat post, seat, and mechanical disk brakes. I put on sun single track rims with XT hubs, Azonic post, SDG seat, race face deus cranks, race face head set, and Hayes hydraulic breaks with an 8" front rotor. I also put a Marzocchi All mountain SL fork on the bike, it lifted the front an inch and was a much nicer fork.

If you have the budget go with a F/S, but if you are just starting out again the hard tail works well until you know what type of riding you really want to do, that is why I waited 8 months before buying a F/S. If you end up not liking freeriding or downhill and want to ride XC then you would be very unhappy with a coiler.
    "Hold on and Point it"

Your bike is incorrigible
    This is a really tough call, since all three bikes have merit. I have a Hoss and love it for certain applications, but I wouldn't want it for my only bike. Keep in mind that the Hoss is a full on XC bike with XC geometry and XC feel. It's fast, feels good when the trail is mellow and handles some technical stuff fairly well. The area it fails in is comfort. It's literally a pain in the ass riding an aluminum HT. If you've got the opportunity to ride both the Coiler and Six One, then I would just decide which one feels better and go with it.

Be prepared to buy some extra springs for the shock and forks. You're going to need super big springs to begin with. After losing some weight, you'll have to drop down to a smaller spring. (You can get away with riding the same spring for around 50 lbs, just working the preload. To that end, try to get a slightly lighter spring that you need to really crank the preload down on. Then you can just back it off as you lose weight.)

mtbr member
    May 2006

I just ordered a Cannondale Rush 600. I'm currently 270. The guy at the shop told me the Rush was good up to 290. The LBS should be able to get the wt info from the manufacturer.

I was also planning on a HT, but once I tested the Rush I quickly changed my mind. Keep all of your options open, esp. if you are working on the wt.

Have fun with the new bike.

mtbr member
    I would look into to building a bike based on the Surly Instigator frame. I'm around 250lbs (+ or - 10lbs depending on season) and have had mine since they introduced the frame. With the heavy duty parts pick I chose, I have had no problems what so ever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Where can i find the weight limits of different types of shocks and suggested coils for each weights. Ive searched Fox's site with not luck. Does anyone have any links? I really want a FS bike. I have come tot he conclusion thats what i want. If i can get a norco Six 2 rigged up to handle my weight ill buy that. if i have to dump another grand into it or so to make it work so be it. If that wont work ill just buy a Hoss dlx and deal with not gettin my true love for this summer til i get down to around 260-270 lbs. Being fat sucks lol

Your bike is incorrigible
    Where can i find the weight limits of different types of shocks and suggested coils for each weights. Ive searched Fox's site with not luck. Does anyone have any links? I really want a FS bike. I have come tot he conclusion thats what i want. If i can get a norco Six 2 rigged up to handle my weight ill buy that. if i have to dump another grand into it or so to make it work so be it. If that wont work ill just buy a Hoss dlx and deal with not gettin my true love for this summer til i get down to around 260-270 lbs. Being fat sucks lol
    Go to tftunedshox.com and poke around. They have all the info regarding what shock will work with what bike and what spring rate. I think they have a spring weight calculator as well. Or, drop them an email to see what they think. The only other thing to do is email the shock manufacturer and inquire, which is what happened when I wanted to get a spring with the right rate.

long standing member
    Where can i find the weight limits of different types of shocks and suggested coils for each weights. Ive searched Fox's site with not luck. Does anyone have any links?
    I don't think that a generic chart will work. The proper weight spring for a particular rider will have to do with the type/design and leverage of the frame suspension itself as much as how much the rider weighs. For example, two frames by two different companies both use a 7.5" length/2" stroke shock to get 5" of suspension. If one is a single pivot and one is a Horst link 4-bar I'm not so sure the spring weight will be the same. I may be wrong, though.

I think the best way to determine the proper spring weight for a particular bike and shock combo the manufacturer of the bike company should be consulted. If the bike manufacturer has consulted with shock manufacturer (which they probably have) they may both have this info.

I really want a FS bike. I have come tot he conclusion thats what i want. If i can get a norco Six 2 rigged up to handle my weight ill buy that.
    Have the bike shop who actually wants to sell you the bike find out this info. IMO, they should do the legwork, after all, it's you who are paying them. Tell them you weigh ___lbs (I forget what you said), and tell them to find out from Norco what size spring you need for the rear shock. Make them do a little work. They have to find out that information first before you even decide on which bike, because it's possible that spring weights for your bodyweight may not be avaibable for all your choices. So the LBS has to find that out first.

if i have to dump another grand into it or so to make it work so be it.
    You may not. The standard built is OK on those bikes. Not the best for a truly aggressive, heavy Clyde, but most likely usable for a while for normal trail riding. If you break things, replace them. If you move to a more aggressive riding style, then upgrade as needed.

If that wont work ill just buy a Hoss dlx and deal with not gettin my true love for this summer til i get down to around 260-270 lbs.
    I would exhaust all your other options first.

Being fat sucks lol
    Well, I agree that us large folk have to put a bit more thought into these things. Although, many of the lighter guys put as much effort (and $) into making their bike lighter. So it cuts both ways (weighs?).

Patrick

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well i went and ordered a Norco Six 2 today. My LBs called their Fox guy and they are gettin my fox dhx 3.0 rear shock done with speical values for my weight. That combined with the heaviest spring will take my 315lbs of weight according to the Fox guy. Im pretty happy with the service from my LBS owner. As soon as the bike comes in he is pulling the shock off and express shipping it to Fox. I was so happy i even bought my wife a new bike lol.

Ill give another status update when the bike is complete.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    fox will do a great job. they customized a dhx5 with an 800 # spring for my new heckler and it works like a dream(im in at 330#)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    fox will do a great job. they customized a dhx5 with an 800 # spring for my new heckler and it works like a dream(im in at 330#)