mtbr member
    Apr 2006

big guy small bike?!?

I am 6"2' 225lbs 2nd time newbie

I was at the lbs today looking at a used raleigh m80. It is an 18' frame, I told the guy I was comming and he put a longer stem on it to make it more comfortable for me. I really thought I would need a bigger bike but this on feels right (my current bike is too small) my stand over is about 4 inches. This struck me as odd so I check out the 20 frame on the mojavie 8.0 (same bike different year and name) and I only had 2-2.25' stand over.

Is the 18' going to be too small? Its main use would be trais so i would the extra clearance would be nice.

anyone else have this issue?

mtbr member
    I'm 511 & I ride a 17.5 frame so I would think a 18 inch frame would be too much for you. Maybe a 20 inch bike would do you better or a 19.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thats what I was thinking, anyone else?

mtbr member
    I have been through several frames over the last year- I am 6'3 but short leg/height ratio. It seemed I would find a frame that give stand-over I liked, but cramped me in the cockpit due to short top-tube- and then another exactly opposite- I finally got it right...
    In my opinion- Go with a bike slightly bigger than you think you need..It will wear less on your knees and back. My favorite bike only gives me about 1.5 inches of crotch clearance, and I had to use a long stem and a layback seatpost to get it just right, but it is now perfect..my ride enjoyment and times have improved dramatically since.
    BTW, after buying framesets (several) over 1k, I found the perfect frame for $109...A Leader 516H w/22" frame...I thought that was funny, but my wife didn't see the humor. My cassette cost more than my frame! I don't really think I am the person to direct you to a particular frame, but I can tell you sizing is crucial and should be your primary concern- don't let somebody "stretch" a frame doing stem and seatpost tricks...you should do that on your own after finding one that works as it is, and then only as fine tuning....

Members who have read this thread: 0