mtbr member
    Apr 2006

big guy small bike?!?

I am 6"2' 225lbs 2nd time newbie

I was at the lbs today looking at a used raleigh m80. It is an 18' frame, I told the guy I was comming and he put a longer stem on it to make it more comfortable for me. I really thought I would need a bigger bike but this on feels right (my current bike is too small) my stand over is about 4 inches. This struck me as odd so I check out the 20 frame on the mojavie 8.0 (same bike different year and name) and I only had 2-2.25' stand over.

Is the 18' going to be too small? Its main use would be trais so i would the extra clearance would be nice.

anyone else have this issue?

mtbr member
    I'm 511 & I ride a 17.5 frame so I would think a 18 inch frame would be too much for you. Maybe a 20 inch bike would do you better or a 19.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thats what I was thinking, anyone else?

mtbr member
    I have been through several frames over the last year- I am 6'3 but short leg/height ratio. It seemed I would find a frame that give stand-over I liked, but cramped me in the cockpit due to short top-tube- and then another exactly opposite- I finally got it right...
    In my opinion- Go with a bike slightly bigger than you think you need..It will wear less on your knees and back. My favorite bike only gives me about 1.5 inches of crotch clearance, and I had to use a long stem and a layback seatpost to get it just right, but it is now perfect..my ride enjoyment and times have improved dramatically since.
    BTW, after buying framesets (several) over 1k, I found the perfect frame for $109...A Leader 516H w/22" frame...I thought that was funny, but my wife didn't see the humor. My cassette cost more than my frame! I don't really think I am the person to direct you to a particular frame, but I can tell you sizing is crucial and should be your primary concern- don't let somebody "stretch" a frame doing stem and seatpost tricks...you should do that on your own after finding one that works as it is, and then only as fine tuning....