mtbr member

Big guy on skinny tires?

So im in the market for a new bike. Itll pretty much be my "main" vehicle weather permitting. ( commute to work, grocery store, weekend warrior) I average around 240 to 250 lbs + racks n gear.

I have found a couple bikes i am interested in but Im kinda unsure if the tire size would work for my weight. Right now i ride 26x1.5's and at 60psi they are a bit too mushy but at 80 they hold up and roll just fine even loaded.

Do any of you big boys ride 700x 35-40c tires? Did they hold up fine or should i look at something thatll fit a 40+? Ive seen 700x32's in person and it just made me uneasy how small the tire was.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought a RH 23 inch 26er and put 29's on it with 40 CM tires and MTX 33 rims laced to Hope Pro hubs and it works awesome with bar risers for a do it all basher, real comfortable.

The tires work fine and I range in weight from 280 to 325 if in the gym. No problem but a few months back I broke some ribs when I pushed the traction limits to far and busted my butt where if I had bigger tires it may have saved me but maybe not.

A 26er with 29 rims is a good do it all bike, I am more than likely going to put a 650B in rear to try. To me this is better than a 29er for a do it all bike, when I ride a 29 they seem to be more aggressive and not as sit friendly more like race mode.

They had left over 26 RH available at a good price but the stock wheels needed upgrading other than that the bike is OK stock for a good safe bet.

40 CM work fine!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    6'5" 260 and I originally built my Ogre with drops and 40mm Mondials on it. I built a second set of wheels with 60mm Big Apples on those. The 40's are super tough, absolutely no issue with my weight on them with 65psi R and 55 psi F, but honestly the ride is so much better and according to my logging about 1mph faster for similar efforts with the Big Apples. I swear the BAs are easier rolling and the comfort is far better.

I'd not go below 32's if you ride any ragged roads. The added rubber as a buffer is nice to have. Also Mondials are a hard, super rugged tire so that's likely why I find the BAs so much better rolling. It may be different if I had a lighter road tire vs the Mondials.

Oh and ease in to cornering at first, narrower tires if they slip aren't as forgiving as fatter MTB tires for sure, they just let go more quickly.

Also...air up before every ride...check the pressures. It's critical if you are big that the tires are spot on to get proper handling and wheel support out of them.

lurker
    Aug 2010
    Im #350 my daily rider has 700x32c armadillos they work great. I get reasonable life out of them and have never had any problems relating to tire size. Thinking about running a size narrower on the bike im building just too see what its like.

mtbr member
    So it seems a 35-40 will do me fine. I was waiting to see whem my lbs gets in some awol's. It fits a 29x2.2 but ive read it weighs 32+ lbs which a bit more than i was wanting. Vey nice bike that checks off all my needs.

Big guy on skinny tires?-cycleshow100.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Giant has a similar model out now too.

Also the Surly Straggler is a nice one and they are arriving in dealers now.

mtbr member
    Tires inflated to the proper PSI are tougher than you think. Plenty big boys roadride 700x25s or smaller with no problems.

mtbr member
    Used to ride 700 x 23mm but switched to 28mm instead. Far more comfort and not that slower.

mtbr member
    6'2" and I used to weigh 270 in my birthday suit and rode 700 x 23mm on my roadie. Im down to 230 and my main bikes are 700 x 32 and 29 x 2"

mtbr member
    As low as 700x28's for me, and I'm up closer to 280 and 6'4". Gravel or rocks, I go directly to 35s or bigger.