Thread: Big guy pedals

mtbr member

Big guy pedals

So I finally pulled the trigger, I ordered a bike to try to get some of this weight off..... I'm 6'5" and ~300lbs.... I ordered a Airborne Seeker and I couldn't be more excited to get it and get started! The only thing the bike doesn't have is pedals, I have been lookin at a lot of them but I don't really notice weight limits on them, I'm kinda lookin at Xpedo XMX24MC's for around 80$. Would these hold up for me? Any other suggestions for some cool flats that will hold me up? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm 6 6 about 310. Been on crank brother 5050s for 5 years. No complaints

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    6'8" 310, I'm running Straitline DeFacto pedals on 2 of my bikes and would buy them again and again! They're huge for our giant feet!
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member

Big guy pedals

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that the 70$ pedals will hold up...... I like the 150-200$ pedals a lot but don't want to charge them. 👍

mtbr member
    I'm 6'6", 305lbs with size 13 feet and have been using Answer Rove pedals for the past few months. I'm new to this so I don't have anything to compare them with but I don't have any complaints so far. Big enough for my feet and enough grip for me. I was cross shopping these with the DMR Vault pedals but they didn't seem worth the extra $50 although they do have deeper spikes if you're looking for more grip.

Amazon.com: Answer Rove FR Platform Pedals Black: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    6' 3" 220 lbs. Crank brothers 5050's (the older model) 4 years. No problems.

Sent from my skz_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I expect most decent pedals will be fine. Kona something-or-others for about 6 yrs on my old bike, Blackspire Big Slims on my Enduro for a year now. No issues with either at 250#. Both sets were under $80.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Propaganda Lover
    Aug 2013

I don't know anything about those pedals...

but I don't think I'd rock a set of pedals that didn't weigh as many grams as I weigh in pounds. (certainly not saying you can't)

I've had good luck with Azonic mags, they are nearly twice the weight. But much less money. Long pins and/or smaller platform may be a deal breaker, but they have held up to serious longterm abuse. Around $40 for a pair.

Had bad luck with 'black ops' pedals, get the feeling they're just a crappy rebrand. Two serious rides before I got a shifty-cup creak.

Redline makes a decent set of inexpensive pedals if you have a good dealer nearby--I think they retail around thirty bucks a pair. I've been beating on a pair for the better part of a year and they're still solid and spin easy.

mtbr member
    Seriously, just look for parts one grade higher than the riding you do.

You ride fairly tame cross-country? Buy all-mountain spec parts.
    You do hucks and ride chunky stuff that put you in trail or all mountain category? Buy downhill parts.

I used to break stuff all the time, now I have a rock solid bike that just works. It's heavier than an equivalent bike by about 20%, but I'm about 50% heavier than the folks I ride with, so it all works out.

Just do some basic research like usual, see what gets good reviews, and go for it.

mtbr member

Big guy pedals

Sweet, thanks for all the info! I ordered some xpedo mx13's.... The only bad part is the bike should be in today and the pedals won't be here till next week, haha!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    update..... just had a bearing lock up on my 5 year old 50/50s shop said they can get a kit and fix em tho...

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I am 3110 and run Time ATAC ZStrongs and before that some Wellgo MG1s. Jenson as a really good sell on Shimano Saints right now that I would jump on if I were still riding with flats.

$75 and free shipping in the states. Shimano MX80 Saint Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Speedplay Drillium's are super strong and take a beating, and stick like glue to your feet. The reviews on hear say it all. These are my goto platform pedal on my XC/trail bikes..If you look around you can get them for around $90

SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    45NRTH Heiruspecs are pretty sweet, hell on the shins though. Support my size 14's in softer hiking boots nicely and work pretty well with my MTB shoes too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    6'3, was 240, now 200 pounds --blame the bike.. o.O

Spankspike Flat pedals are awesome. Super strong, and a good shoe platform. $125 ish.

My foot is a size 48-48.5 euro (13 ish), and the platform fits well.

If I had money to blow, I'd try the DMR vaults...they have a larger foot platform, but are slightly thicker compared to the spankspikes. But, also an increased Q factor if that is important.

mtbr member

Big guy pedals

Here are the Face Off's mounted up.
    Big guy pedals-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376751690.974981.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looking good! Too good, go get'r filthy!
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member

Big guy pedals

Quote Originally Posted by SasquatchSC View Post
    Looking good! Too good, go get'r filthy!
    Lol, I heard that! I got it dusty today, rode some gravel here by the house.