mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Big Guy looking for a new bike

Hello all,

Looking at purchasing a new bike. What I currently have is a Nishiki Cascade that I bought in the mid 90s. It was the perfect bike for cruising the strands on the beaches of So Cal. But I now live in Victor, NY. We have several of really nice trails (paved and dirt).

I'm 6'1 and I'm about 350 right now and have been losing a good amount of weight in the past few months.The bike will be another source of exercise for me till the snow hits.

Looking to get into something that can hold me for basic trail riding with some hills and straights. I don't think the Nishiki will hold me for now since it has an aluminum frame.

If anyone that lives in Upstate NY (Rochester area) and can make any suggestions on what LBS are reliable and are not going to steer me the wrong way would be helpful. I forgot to mention I have a limited budget of about $500-$700.

Thanks and I look forward to any advice.

John

Former Bike Wrench
    I sold and worked on those Nishiki Cascade bikes in 1996 and I'm certain that frame will hold you no problem. Being aluminum does not make a frame inherently weak. Aluminum can be quite strong (they make 747's out of the stuff!). In your Nishiki's case, its a strait gauge oversized 7005 tubing frame. It will be plenty stout for your weight.