mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Big Guy Fork Upgrade

Looking to upgrade my fork on my GT Karakoram 2.0. It is a RS XC28. I have searched and read post about getting Recon or Reba. I have been riding alot of singletrack with my fork locked out. If not, it just dives too bad.

I am 6'4", 250 now, but will be about 220 to 230 soon. Probably going to stay at that weight for some time. Love the bike, but the fork makes it feel horrible. I want a fairly stiff suspension up front, just a step or two below rigid.

What are my choices that would make my dream come true. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Big Guy Fork Upgrade

I am 290#. I ride a Trek Stache 7. It has a Recon silver tk solo air fork and I love it. Very easy air adjustments (set mine at 140psi) and it allows me to use 90% of the shock and never bottoms out. Also simple turn key rebound adjustment and of course your lock out when you need it. I think it would be a great choice at you size. Also wont break the bank.

turtles make me hot
    I range from 255 to 280 and have been riding a Reba for four years now. My next bike is going to have the new Pike with the 35mm stantions.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 05-16-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Something air is probably the best bet. I ride a Manitou Drake Super Air. Even at 320 pounds (280 now) it was as stiff as a rigid when I wanted it to be.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Reba is always a good option, hell even the modern generation SIDs are as well. they are both light and strong. if you look hard you can find Rebas for cheap as well. I have ridden both extansively and I have weighted between 230 and 270 of the past few years and both have held up great for me.

mtbr member
    I found the Manitou Tower to be great for clyde use. It comes in expert and pro the difference being the spring. The expert is an air spring while the pro uses a combination air/coil. Both have lots of flexibility so you can adjust them to fit you. You can find these forks on sale many times over the year. Definitely something to do some research on.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Which of the Reba, or Manitou tower expert, would be in need of less maintenance? I hear the Reba needs o-rings replaced often.

I have read the posts about the Manitou forks on the components forum. They are my front runner, but between the pro and expert, which one would hold its tune longer? I cannot stand the diving of the front end on my current fork. Diving fork and lack of skill are the only reasons for any crash I have had. lol