Steve
    Jun 2013

Big guy first bike question...

5'11, 280. Where is it best to spend the money? Forks, brakes, frame? I really don't want to spend over $700 but am tempted. I've looked at the Trek Marlin, Giant Talon and Revel, but also considered going factory direct. Any thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. On road and groomed paths, it won't matter that much. Hitting the trails, I'd look at the fork then brakes. Frame won't matter if it's metal. Just make sure it fits you. A good seat can also make a huge difference. So, IMO, I'd rate it like this:

Saddle > Fork > Brakes > Wheels

Reason I placed saddle first, you can have a $10,000 bike with the best of the best parts, but if the seat sucks, you won't ride it. The bike has to fit and have a decent seat so you will ride it, then worry about the rest. And that's not to say the stock seat won't be just fine. It very well may be. But be ready to replace it in case it's not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a 2012 Marlin, and I am just changing the seat this year, wish I had done it before.. lol
    I kept reading that you have to get use to riding a bike with those types of seats, and you do have to get riders arse regardless of what seat you buy, but you can get better then stock seats.

I havenít changed my fork yet, and that has to be next.

I have changed the peddles(twice) and hand grips. Bought tons of other things to make the rides fun.

Like it was already mentioned, it all depends on the type of riding you plan to do. All I can do is tell you about the Marlin since Iím still a noobie at this. I have learnt a lot, and what I have learnt, I almost wish I knew before I bought the Marlin, I might would have spent moreÖ (key word ĎMightí)

What I do know about the Marlin, is of course it is great on Roads and smooth pavements. When I take it out on the single track trails, the downfall for me is the fork. I bought mine when I was upto 318lbs

mtbr member
    At that price point, I'd go used. I'm assuming you are looking for a hardtail? Seat is important as stated above. Wheels are IMO very important. I used to bend wheels a lot. Stay away from Alex Wheels (stock on lower end bikes). I really love how Kona hardtails are set up, seem to be geared to heavier riders. Some have Sun wheels, good and strong. Disk brakes are all good. Use what it comes with, and change if you feel you don't like something about the brakes ( lock up, not enough modulation, etc ). Good luck.
    ďThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.Ē
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Look for 2010-2012 models on sale. For $700, you can score a sweet bike when they are on sale (something that's $1000-$1200 when new).

With little more budget, you can get even better deal (e.g., $1500 Focus for $975, or $2100 Focus for $1050)

Complete Bikes > Cross-Country Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Steve
    Jun 2013
    I'm guessing hardtail at this point if I were to purchase at a shop. From the resources I've seen here and elsewhere, some of the options at b ikes direct seem to have decent deals for some hardtails however, for a first bike I'm a little leery of purchasing something I haven't ridden or even put my rear end on...but the same applies in reverse where I would get a little better grasp of the assembly and different components. For example:

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom Trail DS

I have looked at the Marlin, and like it...but Hamp, what would you have spent the extra cash on?

PA Biker
    Oct 2012
    Check your messages, I sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    From what I've heard and experienced somewhat,GT makes pretty strong frames.Check there too.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    I don't want to condone this, but if you throw a leg over a bike at at shop, and it seems to be comfortable, than look up its dimensions online and compare it to the less expensive options online. I'd probably tell the shop, though, that you are just checking your size so they don't (for lack of better words) waste their time.

I'm all about supporting the local business, but with losing a household income, I gotta find ways to be frugal.
    ďThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.Ē
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus2112 View Post
    I'm guessing hardtail at this point if I were to purchase at a shop. From the resources I've seen here and elsewhere, some of the options at b ikes direct seem to have decent deals for some hardtails however, for a first bike I'm a little leery of purchasing something I haven't ridden or even put my rear end on...but the same applies in reverse where I would get a little better grasp of the assembly and different components. For example:

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom Trail DS

I have looked at the Marlin, and like it...but Hamp, what would you have spent the extra cash on?
    Oh, please donít misunderstand, but I Loove my Marlin! ! ! If you like it, then I feel you should get it.
    Honestly at the time of buying it, I donít know what I would have done different. Back then I didnít know anything about this website. I was a total noob, and still feel I am a noobie in this hooby.
    My other hooby of Home Theater is so different then this mountain biking hobby stuff. With Home theater hobby, itís ok to start off with less and upgrade, upgrading is the way to go.

With this biking hobby, my understanding of upgrading is not encouraged, and you should sell old and buy the next level bike that you can afford.

With that said, I did learn that the fork I want would have been cheaper to get on a few levels up from my marlin. To be a great entry level bike into the sport, that fork is the worst on it. When I bought the Marlin, I didnít know anything about trails in my area and only planned to ride on paved roads, so actually I didnít have any reason of going into the next level.

Being on a forum can be good and bad. The good is learning new things, the bad is the upgrading, and the idea of I can have more. It cost to have more.

So far with my Marlin:
    1. I want to upgrade my fork(the one I want is more than the damn bike)
    2. I upgraded my hand grips to the ergo grip P1
    3. I have already upgraded my peddles twice. I thought I would lock-in(hell no), I have the Shimano PD-MX80 now, with plenty of foot space.
    4. Recently upgraded my saddle to Selle Royal Respiro Athletic(I love this seat)

There is going to be tons of other things you will want and need to get.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm 240, ride mostly fire roads and after comparing many bikes went with the GT Zasker sport- XL [$899 now at performance, web has wrong pricing] . I went hardtail vs full suspension since some of the full suspension bikes I've ridden have a bit too much give and I loose my uphill power [which was important to me] It seemed I was fighting the bike and front shock. My 170# buddy says it doesn't happen to him and I believe him but I dont think some of these full suspension designs factored in us heavy weights.

I compared my bike to that Motobecane on the discount site and the other major brands which are all pretty comparable depending on what you want. I would have preferred better wheels but for under a grand I will upgrade later if necessary. I did like the bulletproof shifter/derailer group which is important for us heavy weights, IMO

I like the fact my new bike can lock out the front shock from the handlebars too.