thread killer

Cool-blue Rhythm Big fat picture challenge.

O.k. here's the challenge: post up the pics of your best broken stuff.

I'll go first.
    My pics are of my Trek fuel. I broke the rear triangle 2 times
    In the first pics the triangle is blue. Notice tin the pics with the seat tube broken the triangle is black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

anyone else smell that?
    ouch!
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    holyfriggincrapbatman!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What year/model is your bike? I have a 2003 Fuel 90 that is the same color as your bike so I am wondering if it is the same. If it is the same bike I am getting SCARED!

How much do you weigh? I come in at 240.

thread killer
    The original blue frame and rear triangle. 2004 trek fuel 70.

Look at you're rear triangle. On the seat stay where the cross brace near the bottom bracket.
    The ones that I broke were hollow. The newer black one is solid.

My LBS took care of every thing through Trek. All under warranty.
    I did have to pay to have the parts swapped. I would have like to do it myself but they said they couldn't warranty it if I swapped the parts. I think they were just slow and needed the work.

By the way I'm 6 foot 300#
    I broke the seat tube while climbing a small hill seated.

I think after the forth time I broke the bike the guy at my LBS tried to talk me into buying a Trek session. LOL
    That was right before TREK came out with the new design. And it was the only bike Trek didn't offer a life time warranty.

Needless to say that's why I just bought a new SC Heckler in February.

so how's every one else doing?
    I know I'm not the only one braking stuff.
    let's see some pistures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    next time

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How's the Heckler holding up? Climb well? I'm about your same size. How's the shock? Are you 300# without all your gear? Do you get rubbing on your calfs from from the rear triangle?

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by DKeeney
    How's the Heckler holding up? Climb well? I'm about your same size. How's the shock? Are you 300# without all your gear? Do you get rubbing on your calfs from from the rear triangle?
    The Heckler is awesome! Hands down the best thing I've ever purchased. The house doesn't count.
    The bank still owns that.

Rubbing calf's on the sing arm? Ha
    I read that review in MBA. They got it wrong. I have never rubbed a leg or shoe on the swing arm.
    I ride with flat pedals if that makes a dif?

Yes 300 with out gear.
    Front fox 36r simple and strong. I didn't want to deal with setting up the suspension.
    I like to set it and for get it.
    The rear is DHX coil 5.0 with 600# spring. I took my time setting it up.
    I've got I think 8 or 9 rides about 50 miles or so. I think it's time to recheck all my baseline settings.
    I carry a note pad with me when I ride and mark down any changes.
    I'll reset every thing to zero (comp, pro pedal, ect.) recheck my sag now that it's broken in some.
    Then ill put the setting back to my last ride and see if any thing needs tweaking.

As far as how it climbs? Not sure if it's the best out there?
    It does climb as good or better then my Trek did.
    I say this because I can clear the same hills on the Heckler as I did on the Trek.
    Itís a win some loose some kind of thing.
    If its one thing I know 100% is the Heckler is way better on the way down then the Trek.
    I've cleared down hill sections on the Heckler that have made me crash when done on the Trek.

Sorry for the long post.
    next time

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a friend who use to work for Hi-Torque. The owners of MBA. He has personally called up Richard Cunningham a few times (the editor) and asked him about what the best bike for Clydes was. He full heartedly, without a doubt, endorsed the Heckler. Which is why it is odd that it got bad ratings in that review. If you look at the pic, it's actually RC riding the Heckler too.

Anyhow, how much did you spend for it (If you don't mind me asking.) I saw SC is offering New Nomads spec'd at like, 3k. So, if a Heckler is going to be 2.5, figured dropping 3 on a Nomad would be a safer bet?

thread killer
    I did read the write up in MBA on the Heckler and if I remember the only real complaint they had was their calf's
    rubbed? Seems to me like a setup problem of their clip-ins.
    Silly roadies trying to keep a low q-factor. LOL
    Like I said I never rub, at all.

I paid almost 4k for my Heckler.
    I had it custom built. Because I knew what I wanted on it.
    Like I knew I wanted a fox 36r on the front. But the only way SC sell the complete bike with a 36r is with full XTR.
    And that's just too much. IMO. If I rip off an XTR rear D I'm not going to pay a buck sixty or so to replace it.
    I'll get a $40 deore. So that's what I started with. I definitely did not want any sram drive train. So I speced my own parts.

I would have liked to gone with the nomad but it would have been that much more.
    I like how simple the Heckler is. One pivot. One set of bearing to wear out. And built like a tank.
    next time

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, the complete builds on Nomads are selling for 3099 MSRP now with their "R-AM" build. That's why I was pondering it.

thread killer
    seems like a good deal if it fits your needs.
    as you can see my trek wasn't working for me anymore.
    that's why I built the Heckler the way I did.
    check the Santa Cruz forum. it has a lot of good people and info.
    next time

thread killer
    So what happened?

Am I the only Clyde that's breaking stuff out there?

It seems like, from a quick trip around the forums that the skinnies are beating the Clydes.
    In the breaking department.

Say it ain't so!
    next time

mtbr member
    Hmm.. I bent the rails on my less when 2 week old WTB saddle.

29 some of the time...
    Sorry, no broken stuff pictures. It rarely happens to me. Of course I have bought the right tools for the task at hand. Coming from a bmx background I know what oem spec parts hold up like. Even frame on complete bikes are not usually to the same standards as an aftermarket frame. The biggest problem you have is that the shop sent you out on an xc bike. Next issue is that you weigh 300lb. And the straw that broke the camel's back, you actually rode the thing

That Heckler is all business and much more fitting for a big guy who actually rides off the paved bike path. Either you or your lbs learned something the first time around it seems
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Sorry, no broken stuff pictures. It rarely happens to me. Of course I have bought the right tools for the task at hand. Coming from a bmx background I know what oem spec parts hold up like. Even frame on complete bikes are not usually to the same standards as an aftermarket frame. The biggest problem you have is that the shop sent you out on an xc bike. Next issue is that you weigh 300lb. And the straw that broke the camel's back, you actually rode the thing

That Heckler is all business and much more fitting for a big guy who actually rides off the paved bike path. Either you or your lbs learned something the first time around it seems

sorry AL I put the Heckler together myself.
    yes you're right I shouldn't have got the Trek. when i got the Trek it was the first bike I had baught in about 10 years. it was my first full susser. I only got it because the rear was stiff like a hard tail.
    next time

Former Bike Wrench
    Five years ago I fell on a sharp rock and broke and dislocated my tailbone...and compression tore a 1.5" gash to the bone inbetween my butt cheeks...So I literally tore myself a new a$$hole

I'll see if my wife wants to take pictures of the scar tonight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF-IDK
    Okay, in order of occurance:

Replaced the Haro with the Redline

Bent post #2 of 3 so far...

Wheelset replaced by Salsa Gordo's/XT's

mtbr member
    You're running disc brakes... that wheel is just fine.

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rieux
    You're running disc brakes... that wheel is just fine.

awesome

lol
    lol
    lol
    next time

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Well, I don't have a pic just yet, but I toasted my bottom bracket. It only took two months and less than 400 miles.

Bottom brackets have long been my nemesis. Back in the day, I routinely trashed bottom brackets. I never did find a long-term solution. Yes I'm a masher, but these days, I rarely - and I mean rarely - get out of the saddle and really mash. What's a 285# clyde to do???

Dirt Deviant
    At almost 300lbs myself, I know what will happen if I stand up and mash the pedals, and I don't really wanna go through that kind of pain. So I sit a spin 90% of the time. If I do stand up to crest a steep section, I am very careful with my pedal strokes.
    Also, I pretty much use DH wheels on all my bikes. DH bars and stems too. And strong seatposts.
    My XC bike weighs 32lbs. My AM bike is about 34lbs. My hardtail is 31lbs.
    I never break anything.

mtbr member
    I broke some plastic pedals from the freebie bin at the LBS on my first ride after finishing building my GT. Then I bent another set taken off a friend's Schwinn, DMRs are holding up well. No pics of these.

Build it right and stuff wont break.

thread killer
    I snapped a chain last weekend.

I to, have had my problems with BB's.
    I once snapped an old school BMX one piece crank. the arm fell off when I jumped over a speed bump trying to impress some girls. I was 14 ant it was 1989.
    needless to say I had a 5 mile walk home with a big bump on the head and a bad headache. like I said it was 1989 and nobody wore helmets.
    next time

CEO Product Failure

Listen! snappity snap-snap

All were JRA's of course...

I've busted many frames but these are the ones recently in the past 4 years when I've had the digi cam available. I got more, many more...