mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Big Clyde-proof suspension seatposts...Do they exist?

I was looking at the Sette suspension seatpost and wondering...Could it work for a 300 pound Clyde? If not, are there any that would?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    the thud buster is only rated for 250# but i do know somone 280# who raves about it... when i get closer to the 250 mark i'll be picking one up
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Making fat cool since '71
    "Proof"? No. They all develop slop which I can only believe would be exaggerated/sped up by the loads a clyde would deliver. I've heard mixed reviews on all, but I have zero real-life experience on them; test rides only. None impressed, but take it with a grain of salt.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

SS XC Junkie
    I'm 250 and run a Thudbuster st. My brother is 280 and has rode my bike w/ the st. I love it, he likes it (hasn't rode my bike enough to love it.)

I bought the st instead of the lt because at 250lbs I'm right at the weight limit. I figure with 1.3" of travel the st was a better choice than the lt at 3" if my weight was going to have me bobbing around on the seat. I don't bob around and neither did my brother when he rode. I totally love this seatpost. I don't know why anyone would need more travel than the 1.3". IMO the st has the perfect amount of travel for a hard tail bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a barely used thudbuster for sale. I rode it maybe 4 times and figured out that there is no substitute for a full suspension.

willtsmith_nwi
    I've used a Thudbuster at 290#. It's a really solid piece of equipment. A 300# person should be OK with it. Just buy two purple elastomers.

BTW, I talked to the Cane Creek guys at NAHBS. They were really cool guys. Even with the greatness of this product, they said they are working to make the elastomers even better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

My bike climbs like a HT !!!

280 and loving it! The purple elastomers were too stiff for me. After emailing Crane Creek http://www.thudbuster.com/ , I changed to the blacks. I love this thing. I'ts built like a tank. I have the LT version. I highly reccommend trying this before going FS. I sold my FS bike and now my bike climbs like a HT !!!! (it is a HT)

Ryan McFarland, the inventor is very helpful and responsive. He says the LT is heavier duty.

Peter

mtbr member
    270 and I am a HUGE fan of the thudbuster LT. I have the purple elastomers (the blacks may ride better as phoeve said, but I worry about tearing up the assembly if they fail).

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'm still trying to find someone that'll let me barrow theirs before I commit... $115 is a lot of money... especially when I already have a thompson on there and know it's not going to die lol also the fact that it's 1/2 the price of an inbred frame makes it hard to think about lol.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hey marxuser !

Try the blacks on the LT. I weigh more than you and I"ve got at least 300 miles on the black elastomers. I emailed the inventor and he said no prob. He also says you can mix one black with one purple. Just remember, if you're over 250 no warranty anyways.