mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Big Boy UK Rider!

Hey peeps!

I am 6'2 and 320lbs. The last bike i had was a cheap full suspension and it bottomed out and the frame BUCKLED! To be fair i came off a massive hidden drop off - 10ft or so. I hurt myself a bit but not as much as the bike!

So the question is, full suspension or hard-tail?

Im looking to spend around 1000... probably stretch to 1400 if there was something really worth getting.
    To give you an idea of how much, a Kona Hoss Deluxe is 850 and Kona Dawg Deluxe is 1500.

Considering up at the top end of the scale in terms of weight - im thinking a hard-tail is going to be better value for money. for 1000 i can get some good equip and a strong frame. However for the same money im gonna end up with a rubbish FSR that i will probably destroy?

So do i go for the 850 kona hoss deluxe (probably upgrade the rims/tyres..) or splash out and get something like a Kona Dawg Deluxe?

I like fast trail riding, cross country sort of stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    im in the exact situation you are in. I am either buyin the Kond Hoss dlx, Kona Coiler, or a Norco Six 2. I want a Fs bike but i just dont have the confidence that one can be setup to handle my 310-320lbs or weight. Im thinking about just buying the Hoss and dealing with the dissapointment for now until i loose weight. i dont want to buy a Fs bike and sit on the damm thing and watch it bottom out every stroke or something. If there was a way to beef up the shocks even to the point where the ride wasnt very soft but it would take the weight id go with that and after i drop the weight i could swap in softer coils or something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It seems most of the advice i am being given is that 2000 is the minimum im gonna have to spend for a BEEFY full suspension to take the sort of abuse 300lbs is gonna give it!

Im kinda aiming towards a hard-tail cross country sort of bike now - because at the end of the day my primary goal is to lose weight, not do big jumps and go downhill. And it seems a hard-tail is very much at home for the sort of cross country riding im anticipating doing.

Im thinking about a Cove Stiffee custom build for around 1500 atm....