SpecRH
    May 2009

big boy shorts/bibs not working

i have two pairs of Canari el cheapo shorts.
    one pair was $25, the other was $50 and worked pretty good for a month or two
    I also have a pair of Specialized bibs, they were $60, retailed at $130 i think.( they were leftover team gear from 08 or so i believe.)
    i am 5'8 220. Size 38 waist. Atleast most of my jeans and shorts ore a size 38.
    So i order XL bibs and Canari shorts.

However, after a month or 2 of wearing each they get a " Full diaper" effect. Even the Spechy bibs.

Im wondering if i should maybe be ordering size Large as opposed to XL. Not sure. Im just tired of paying for riding shorts/bibs that are totally pointless. The Specialized bibs slide down and deem themselves useless and even hang down at the crotch a little which makes them catch the nose of my saddle.

im wondering if i am just odd shaped or ordering wrong size or just ordering cheap junk that will not last. ( i know the canari shorts are cheap quality, i expected the specialized bibs to be a little better.)

any help would be appreciated. thanks guys!
    MTB : 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Specialized RH
    ROAD: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp
    TOY: Trek 1000

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know I'm in the minority here, but have you tried riding without the chamois (if it's removable). Yes, your butt may not like it for the first few rides, but anymore, I find I'm a lot more comfortable in a pair of compression shorts with a very light pair of overshorts. The compression shorts have enough support to prevent chafing, and I don't end up with a wad of chamois wedged up where the sun doesn't shine, making my toes go numb.

Like I said, it's a total minority position, but you may find it worth a try.

SpecRH
    May 2009
    i actually rode my first year or so with just compression shorts with no chamois, once i started using chamois shorts i fell in love however, with my current situation it seems easier to try and just go back to compression shorts

mtbr member
    Buy a smaller size. XL is too big for your height. Try large, or possibly even a medium.

mtbr member
    Size L descente prologue bibs will probably work well for you, they are $40 on nashbar. I love these bibs and have ridden several century rides in descente prologue bibs. I have a size 42/44 waist and wear XXL, they are a bit long so i just fold up the bottoms a couple times and they work great. I could probably wear a XL. I have a friend that is your size that wears a size L and he loves them also. Very soft and supple suspender/upper area and great chamois.

SpecRH
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jesspal View Post
    Size L descente prologue bibs will probably work well for you, they are $40 on nashbar. I love these bibs and have ridden several century rides in descente prologue bibs. I have a size 42/44 waist and wear XXL, they are a bit long so i just fold up the bottoms a couple times and they work great. I could probably wear a XL. I have a friend that is your size that wears a size L and he loves them also. Very soft and supple suspender/upper area and great chamois.

checking them out now. thanks

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I wear baggies 'loose' around the waist and hold them up with suspenders under the jersey. Sounds weird, and maybe it is, but it works great for me.

Bibs work pretty well for me. I haven't had a problem with them 'falling' because the straps are too long, but then again, I am 6'5". Maybe you could alter the straps to make them shorter. I have had some bib straps want to slide off the ends of my shoulder, but if that happens I have crossed the straps so the right strap is on my left shoulder, and vice versa.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    i actually rode my first year or so with just compression shorts with no chamois, once i started using chamois shorts i fell in love however, with my current situation it seems easier to try and just go back to compression shorts
    I wear compression shorts also. Never had any issues with them