mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Big Boy issues.... I need some help

Ok so getting back into biking with the wife.

We love camping and riding (so lean toward Mtb)

Here is my issue, i have been reading reviews like mad and have a toss up on my hands.
    What to get for a 6'1 265lb Man

Here are my choices and the prices i can get them at.

Haro Flightline Comp Msrp 710 my cost 535 OTD
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc Msrp 580 my cost 490 OTD
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc Msrp 770 my cost (i think) is 650 OTD

Trying not to spend more than $500-$700 with helmet and some gloves and maybe a better saddle.

I will not be hitting any extreme trails and will be doing 65% of my riding around paved or semi paved roads rest will be trails.

If you have any other suggestions PLEASE let me know . I live in Ohio and would love to get a deal on bikes other than the brands i listed (my LBS's brands of choice)

I am leaning toward the haro due to price vs component quality. But people say the hardrock would be fine for my needs... The only thing that concerns me on it is the fork/shock. How much would a upgrade for one to hold my big butt up better be?

Plus size jersey model
    I would say the rhopper. It seems like it has the best components but them again it is also the most $. Next Haro then HardR. Have you been checking craigslist etc. What are some of the other brands carried in your area?

Plus size jersey model
    Also have you considered a 29er? This guy here just posted about getting a rigid Getting ready to go 29 - a couple of clyde-worthy options I ride a rigid 29er as one of my rigs here in Tucson which is probably way more rocky then Ohio and it works out fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    I would say the rhopper. It seems like it has the best components but them again it is also the most $. Next Haro then HardR. Have you been checking craigslist etc. What are some of the other brands carried in your area?
    Nah i want to buy from a LBS to basically gain maintenance tips and tricks and to have someone i can call whenever i need. Plus i like to support local mom and pop businesses.
    Schwinn and Giant are the other brands that are in stores around here. But Really i can get the best deals on Haro and Specialized and Giant (i know a dude that can hook me up at a LBS)

The more i think about it the only thing that concerns me is the RS DART 3 on the rockhopper and the Haro has the Dart 2 ... Either way not sure if that will hold my clyde frame well. Should i just apt and go with the Haro and throw a upgrade on the forks.

I am so confused ... Everyone says the darts are not good for a clyde but other than that i dont want a suntour i have used those before....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    bump

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I agree that the Dart is not a great fork for a clyde. But, you could buy it, ride it for a while, and upgrade the fork when you knew you were really into trail riding. I did that when I started mountain biking, the entry level fork was o.k., when I upgraded I could really appreciate the difference b/c my skills had grown.

I don't think you'll find a whole lot better fork on a new bike in that price range.

I'm a little suprised that those are all 8-speed drivetrain bikes. It would be nice to have one with 9-speed, as that is standard for mountain bikes.

Probably worth at least considering a Giant.

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    The flightline has a 9 speed cassette. I have had great luck with mine. Im 6'5 280lbs and it has held up great aside from the saddle comming lose when i first bought it.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    Also have you considered a 29er? This guy here just posted about getting a rigid Getting ready to go 29 - a couple of clyde-worthy options I ride a rigid 29er as one of my rigs here in Tucson which is probably way more rocky then Ohio and it works out fine.
    I'm 6'1' and 295#. I chose to go to a 29" rigid for my return to MTBing and am quite happy with my decision. I kept my initial cost down by purchasing a steel frame with solid components that I could upgrade in the future.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the Rockhopper, the Dart won't be the best, but it should be fine to get started with. I got back into biking a few years ago with a '05 RH. Back then they came with a low end Manitou fork, it wasn't the greatest, but with a firm spring it held my weight ok. If you really get into MTB then you can always upgrade the fork later on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    I'd go with the Rockhopper, the Dart won't be the best, but it should be fine to get started with. I got back into biking a few years ago with a '05 RH. Back then they came with a low end Manitou fork, it wasn't the greatest, but with a firm spring it held my weight ok. If you really get into MTB then you can always upgrade the fork later on.
    Going tommorrow to get my wife sized for a bike and will prob be picking up either Rhopper or Flightline and seeing if my buddy can get me a deal on a Tora 318 solo air... Tends to me one of the most reccomended shocks for clydes. But i also thought about a rigid as well.. I am still really undecided.

old part timer

rigid is fine

For most of the riding you will be doing a rigid fork will be fine. I have a 29er with two forks, one rigid, one shock to switch out if needed. I have the shock on a friends bike now as I never use it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hardrock vs Rockhopper? What's the difference, other than components? Anything?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DKeeney
    Hardrock vs Rockhopper? What's the difference, other than components? Anything?
    frame geometry and weight and colors... But really components are what make a bike.
    I could not make it today to the LBS today due to rain so it might be a week before i get to get back there.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by dabioman
    ... I have a 29er with two forks, one rigid, one shock to switch out if needed....
    This is something I might eventually try before purchasing a second bike (which I imagine will be a hardtail rather than another rigid or a FS).

It would be great to have a complete second fork/bar/stem/control set-up for a quick change. Combined with a second set of wheels/tires/brakes for a separate commuting set-up, it would take a few more parts to make a complete second bike when you find the perfect frame.

mtbr member
    2009 Rockhopper Comps come with Tora Slite shocks and not Darts, well mine did anyway!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 2009
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrrikki
    2009 Rockhopper Comps come with Tora Slite shocks and not Darts, well mine did anyway!
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=38430&eid=107

that would be awesome but the website says otherwise

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrrikki
    You have the Rockhopper Expert.

Sad that since 07 the RH have been going down in part quality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If the Haro has a 9 speed drive train and the specialized all have 8-speed, I'd go Haro.

Haro tends to give you more bike for your money. The main advantage to Specialized is their rear suspension design, but if you're buying a hardtail that doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith
    If the Haro has a 9 speed drive train and the specialized all have 8-speed, I'd go Haro.

Haro tends to give you more bike for your money. The main advantage to Specialized is their rear suspension design, but if you're buying a hardtail that doesn't matter.
    i think i have it figured out... Going haro due to these reasons...

Gettting a Tora 318 solo air to swap out the dart 2 and will have 700 $ wrapped up in bike and tora. Heard great things about the deore derailers and what not on the haro. Both have same brakes hayes mech 160mm disc. Also 9 speed is a plus... So really price vs value i think haro wins... plus black or burnt orange is better than yellow i believe

But would like to hear some more feedback ofc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWaffles
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=38430&eid=107

that would be awesome but the website says otherwise
    Weired you do a search in the UK for Rockhopper Comp Disc 2009 and you will get this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...mpaign=froogle

I ordered a Rockhopper Comp disc from another store http://www.wheelies.co.uk/products-R...2009_21750.htm and again it has the Tora, we must get different specs in the UK?
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crbrocket
    You have the Rockhopper Expert.

Sad that since 07 the RH have been going down in part quality.
    No I have a Rockhopper Comp Disc 2009 it even says it on the frame! http://www.wheelies.co.uk/products-R...2009_21750.htm

A Rockhopper Expert Disc has differenet specs, Avid BB4's I have 3's. http://www.wheelies.co.uk/products-R...2009_21025.htm
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

turtles make me hot
    I would go with the Rockhopper 29er and swap the fork. If you upgrade the fork at the time of purchase, they should take care of you.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Tora with the Haro sounds like a winning combo at a good price. The 9 speed drive train will be more upgrade-able, plus it will probably give you a 34 tooth cog on the cassette in back. Most of us bigger boys really like having that bigger cog in back for spinning up the big hills.

Mrrikki, I've seen this before, a company will have different parts on the exact same model named in different countries.

29er's are very interesting, but they tend to be a little more expensive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith
    The Tora with the Haro sounds like a winning combo at a good price. The 9 speed drive train will be more upgrade-able, plus it will probably give you a 34 tooth cog on the cassette in back. Most of us bigger boys really like having that bigger cog in back for spinning up the big hills.

Mrrikki, I've seen this before, a company will have different parts on the exact same model named in different countries.

29er's are very interesting, but they tend to be a little more expensive.
    yeah i cant really afford a 29er though i would like one with the tora.

Since i can get the haro at 510 out the door and a tora soloair 318 for 175 out the doori should have about 685 in the bike and have about 65 left for a decent pair of shorts and gloves and maybe some shoes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Based on the specs I would definitely go with the Haro... I remember when I was going through this same dilemna a couple of years ago. I was torn whether to go with a Gary Fisher or the Marin that I bought. I ended up getting the better deal on the Marin due to it's initial MSRP, but I went with it due to the upgraded component set. The Marin had Deore shifters and derailleurs with Hayes Sole Hydro discs, the GF was a SRAM set with mech discs. It's a tough decision but I would always go with the better component set with all things being equal.

I'm debating myself what to do about the fork... I'm probably going to go with the Tora SA also but I'm having a real hard time not talking myself out of the Revelation that I definitely don't need but want very badly. I'll probably just end up with the Tora and put the other $200 into other places like a new wheel set