mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Big Boy Backpack

I have a relatively newer model MULE the is just too small to wear. I tried to wear it for a few rides and went back to my older pack that has a more roomy fit.

Do any of you all know of packs that are not built for just the average 160 pound riders?

Not a lurker
    No. but you can send your Mule to me. j/k

Actually, this one looks like it's pretty big.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    MTB Name = Leg Ripper Offer
    I'm Mormon. =)

mtbr member
    how big are you? I have a mule with plenty of room to spare on all straps and I'm no 160lb rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a Hydrapack Big Sur, which is an excellent pack, and big enough for me (I'm 6"4, 350lb).

mtbr member
    I have an inexpensive Coleman brand hydration pack from WalMart that fits me well, even around the waist and I am a 300 pound lightweight.

BIG and Bald
    I use a North Face Chameleon. Plenty of room for gear AND it fits quite comfortably.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a Camelbak HAWG.

The pack itself is big enough, but the straps weren't long enough.

It rode way too high and made my back hurt after minutes of riding.

I brought it to Naraayaen's and had them sew on longer shoulder straps and a comfy padded waist belt.

Now my HAWG rides low, and the waist belt takes even more weight off my spine.

I don't brush low-hanging branches with my pack anymore, either.

Another alternative is a Wingnut pack. I've never used one, but their people assure me that all of their packs will fit me.

Plus size jersey model
    I recently purchased a Osprey Talon 22 and love it. http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/Tal...tiUse/Talon22/
    This is the most comfortable pack I have had yet. It holds tons of stuff and has multiple points of adjustment. My only problem with it is the waist strap is a little small for me but I never used it on any of my other packs before either. I really like the cell phone size pockets on each strap and the super breathable back liner. I was having a few back issues with my MULE just because I could never seem to get it to rest right but with the adjustability of the Talon that problem has went away.

Heres a pic of me modleing mine over the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for all the responses.

Do the packs you guys mention have an insulated area for the resevoir?

BEANFINK: Did Naraayaen's lengthen the padded shoulder strap itself or just add length to the 1" webbing at the end of the padded strap?

Fireball: YO Its Steve B from Kymba!

BIG and Bald
    What's up Steve. I haven't been active on Kymba for a while but I still check in from time to time.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Graphic Designer
    I have a DakineApex that fits great and I am 280, and what I would refer to as 'not-skinny'. It has great padding and straps, very comfy, and the waist straps you can hide or remove b/c they are velcroed on, so I just tossed those in a drawer. It's my favorite pack of all time so far, it has all the pockets and features I could ask for.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    another vote for the Camelbak H.A.W.G. .. great pack
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    I have a Wingnut and it fits my 270 lb self perfectly

mtbr member
    I picked up a Camelbak Mayhem over the MULE just because it was a little taller and thus more comfortable on my back. It doesnt have as many smaller compartments but has more overall storage capacity than the Mule. I can fit all of my bike repair tools in the outer pocket and the inner pocket is for whatever I'll need for wherever I'm going, food, spare clothes, etc.

29 some of the time...
    I like my HAWG. You guys are some big boys if you are running out of strap room

I rode with a mule for a couple of years. Then I bought a hawg for longer rides. It fit my torso so much better that I just started using it as an everyday pack. Here it is about 4-5 years later and I still am stoked on the pack. I might start looking for a backup though as I am noticing a few tears and stuff starting to get a bit ragged.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Wingnut Enduro for me. I'm not tall, just heavy.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just got an ergon BD 1 and am very happy with it.

After back surgery (lathroscopic discechtemy of L4/5 85% of the disc mass removed) I had to ditch my camelback and get the weight on my hips.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone know of a good backpack for biking that has a M.O.L.L.E system on it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What is a MOLLE system?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    MOLLE (pronounced MOLLY as in the female name) is an acronym for MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment. It is used to define the current generation of load-bearing equipment and rucksacks utilized by the United States Army. The system's modularity is derived from the use of PALS webbing, rows of heavy-duty nylon stitched onto the vest as to allow for attachment of various MOLLE-compatible pouches and accessories. This method of attachment has become a de facto standard for modular tactical gear, replacing the click and stick system used in the earliest modular vest systems (which is still in use with most Western police departments). It is produced for the United States Government under contract by several contractors, such as Specialty Defense, Armor Holdings as well as Eagle Industries.[1][2][3] (Michael Bianco Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Eagle Industries)[4]
    Here is a large MOLLE back pack....

Graphic Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by bikethebluegrass
    What is a MOLLE system?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=molle+system
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    try the new Camelbak Goat i hear its 110ml

Fat guy on a bike
    hahahahah

I went with a Camelbak Alpine explorer. Fits well. Holds plenty of gear and my DSLR.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    6' 5" - Camelbak H.A.W.G.

When I was up to 300lbs, the waist strap was max'd out, but since I have lost 30-40lbs, I have been able to reel in a few inches on each end of the strap. The chest strap was also max'd and is now much better.

The shoulder straps were never close to being max'd, but I may like the pack riding a bit higher on my back.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    100 oz minimum around here. (Austin, TX)

I have the Hellion from Camelbak

it's a snow boarder backpak so everything is insulated, which is good.
    Not as good or organized as the bike backs like the HAWG or Blowfish or my beloved Alpine. (I loved that one).
    Plenty of room. I've had double bladders, food, clothes, etc.
    I like the bigger ones as the hold more and fit lower.

The boarder straps are great to carry leg/arm armor for longer or crazier rides and destinations.

A tad heavy for whimpy people, but I like being the sherpa and always have stuff that I and everyone else needs

The Mule gets over crowded and too tight.
    The mule is the one I use on neighborhood or road rides, as it's too small to carry much.