Thread: big 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

big 29

I am building a custom Simon bar 29 for a big fella. All oversized tubes etc. I am going to use longer chainstays to regain proper balance. Has anyone done any research on height/chainstay length ratios? What have you big dudes noticed about climbing and keeping the front planted?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    running a 21" frame... I MUCH prefer the 17" stays on my karate monkey to the 17.5 of my redline...

if the front end wanders just get your body further forward over that front wheel...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    I'm 6'5" and I had a custom built HT using 18.25" with Paragon sliders, I wanted clearance for VT mud/snow/anticipated BIG 29er tires. I actually found that the bike climbed really well. The front end didn't wander at all and still scoots up the climbs just fine (as fast as a fatty can go up hill). It wasn't too long for singletrack around here (find tighter...).
    I kinds believe in the Triangle (ft and rr axles are the bottom point and my center of gravity being the top point.) Make a Tall triangle with a narrow base and you run into issues of endoing, front wheel wandering, etc... Obviously too long will slow things down too much but that (in MY opinion only) only starts for a 29er/tall guy at around 19-20" (yes I pushed my sliders back to see what it was like).
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.