mtbr member

Better fork: Lyrik or Fox 36

I realize that this is not the suspension forum but I'd like to hear from some other big guys about how the stock valving and compression systems work on these two burly forks.

I'm having a custom hardtail built up along the lines of a Transition Transam/ Ragley Blue Pig except in a 23" size with a long top tube and built to handle a 160mm fork.

I've heard that the Fox 36s are great but will blow through their travel with a heavy rider. Lyrik is apparently much more progressive. I dont want to have to buy a new fork and immediately send it to PUSH . . .

Anybody on here running one or the other? Mainly want to compare air versions of both, Lyrik Soloair to 36 Float.

For reference, I'm 6'9" and currently somewhere between 260-270lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got both. The lyrik is on my Nomad and the 36 is on my new Trans Am. I have alot of time on the lyrik and its a great fork. I am only about 3 rides in on the Fox but it seems great to. The biggest difference so far I have felt has been how seemless the Fox feels. I don't get that, the fork is now compressing feeling, yet I am using the travel. I also have to spend more time getting it dialed in, right now everything is in the center, and it's working great, but just would like to see what else it will do with ALL the adjustments it has.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and 260 on a good day and I'm loving my '11 Fox Float 36 R on my TransAM . Just set the pressure and rebound and it's amazing. I have about 20 hrs of riding on it and it's very plush, almost at the end of its breaking in period. I wouldn't want any other fork.

At the end of the day, the Float 36 RLC FIT w/ Kashima was only $130 or so more, but I wanted simplicity vs. fiddling with all the low and high speed compression settings.

TransAM pic for reference

And completely OT, what kind of Subaru do you drive GTscoob?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    im 6ft 220 and my 36 handles just fine. Tho Ive heard great things about the lyrik.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    I'm 6'3" and 260 on a good day and I'm loving my '11 Fox Float 36 R on my TransAM . Just set the pressure and rebound and it's amazing. I have about 20 hrs of riding on it and it's very plush, almost at the end of its breaking in period. I wouldn't want any other fork.

At the end of the day, the Float 36 RLC FIT w/ Kashima was only $130 or so more, but I wanted simplicity vs. fiddling with all the low and high speed compression settings.

TransAM pic for reference

Damn good looking bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    02 WRX wagon, 03 JDM STi motor, 99 JDM STi tranny, 06 USDM STi suspension (gotta upgrade this soon)
    Thats a sweet looking bike, I was thinking a very similar color scheme. Good job on not over-doing the white accents like so many bikes these days.

How easy are the standard Fox 36s to work on, for your average home bike mechanic? I've torn down a few Rockshox forks now and they're always so easy to work on.

mtbr member
    Based on a reply from the deals forum on here. Anyone on an X-Fusion Vengeance? I've seen a lot of pros riding them but dont know anyone personally who owns one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry I'm late to the game here GT Scoob, but I am 6' 6 & 280 lbs and I ride a 2011 Enduro with a Float 36.

I actually contacted push with a question on the best fork for my weight and they said I should stick with the stock setup. It was an open-ended question and at the time I wanted a coil spring setup (can't get one set up right for us).

The RP23 shock is another story though and as soon as I receive my "Push'd" RS Monarch Plus I'll be a happy Man.

I have at least 300 miles on my Float 36 so far and I really like fork.

- FWIW

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Anybody on here run a Totem for AM riding?

I've pretty much knocked the Fox off since it's out of my budget and an older one will require a rebuild and PUSH tune.

I'm definitely going with a 1.5" steerer so now it's either Lyrik or pick up a Totem and lower it to 160mm.

Totem will weigh .5lbs more but be a ton stiffer. It'll be easier to work on with the speedlube ports and wont require any adapters to run a 203mm front rotor.

Have any larger riders been able to notice any flex in a Lyrik, to where I should consider the lowered Totem?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Put the 2010/11 Marzocchi 55 micro ti on your short list. I put one on about 20 rides ago, replacing an 09 Pushed 36 Float. Never got the 36 to perform properly - it is either plush and collapses through the stroke, or is so stiff it deflects off everything (tried a stock 11 Float and the Pushed 09 is much plusher). The 55 is by far the best air fork I've ever ridden, feels like a coil fork (super plush and excellent bottoming resistance). Much plusher than my Pushed Boxxer World Cup. And the horrible Marzocchi years (08-09) are over - my 55 has already lasted several times longer than my 08 66 did before needing new lowers.

mtbr member
    Picked up a Lyrik last week, I'll post up a review in another few months when my custom hardtail is done

mtbr member
    Just curious as to what kind of pressure you're using in the 36 Float to get proper sag. I'm close to your weight and I'm building a Banshee Rune for light ski park riding. I was shocked (no pun intended) to discover that the coils offered won't work for most riders over 240-250 and the max air pressure for the Lyrik is like 125 psi. There's no way I can get proper sag and not blow through the travel of the Lyrik at that max pressure. The only option other than the Float is the Totem, and I really didn't want to go to that extreme.

Also, is there a max recommended pressure for the Float 36? I couldn't find this anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by spec d View Post
    Sorry I'm late to the game here GT Scoob, but I am 6' 6 & 280 lbs and I ride a 2011 Enduro with a Float 36.

I actually contacted push with a question on the best fork for my weight and they said I should stick with the stock setup. It was an open-ended question and at the time I wanted a coil spring setup (can't get one set up right for us).

The RP23 shock is another story though and as soon as I receive my "Push'd" RS Monarch Plus I'll be a happy Man.

I have at least 300 miles on my Float 36 so far and I really like fork.

- FWIW

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Qfactor03,

ME TOO!

I've always ridden dirt bikes (motorcycles) and was more than a little surprised about my findings related to coil based bicycle suspension.

So far though, the Fox Float 36 has been flawless.

I'm running ~ 20% sag and 95 PSI. Rebound 3 clicks back from hard. It's been working sweet! I haven't used it all up yet.

I do have my weight bias slightly toward the rear of the bike though on my Enduro; I've installed a 50mm Easton stem with a decent rise to it, along with Renthal Fat bars at 780 mm wide with a 38mm rise.

I run the RP23 shock at 300 PSI with the climbing switch on and rebound set to "3" in order to get it to work right.

I cancelled my push order after I waited for 7 weeks and was still getting the blow off from them. Absolutely HORRIBLE Customer service, and I don't support that with my hard earned $. I'll find something else for a shock if / when the RP23 gives up on me. Until then, I'm still riding 4-6 days each week and loving it!

mtbr member
    Wow, you're Enduro must run a different ratio on your shock. I only need 175 psi in the rp23 on my Pivot 429 to get the recommended sag (I'm assuming the ratio of the DW Link effects this quite a bit).

It's looking more and more like a 36 Float 180 reduced to 170 for the new ride. If not, it'll be a Totem reduced to 170, but I really don't know that I want a full blown DH single crown on this bike. It will see some chair lift accessed trail use, but there will be some more general riding done as well.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yep, the DW link must make a huge difference, because my FSR with the RP23 as I indicated is 33%+ sag.

It's very compliant but I sometimes worry about when I jump. A while back I came to the conclusion that I bought this machine to ride hard anyway, so I just ride it and figure I'll fix anything that breaks.

I hope your Rune turns out Sweet!

I can vouch for Mavic 729EX rims laced with heavy spokes too. They'll stand up to some serious abuse.