mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Best Super Clyde 120mm fork....?

Hey guys, after a super man over the bars and cracked helmet on a rocky downhill section last week , I am looking to upgrade the fork on my 2013 Trek Stache 7. I'm 6'3 and 295lbs. I ride a lot of rocky single track and small drops but no big jumps. I want some real feedback if a $600 fork (revelation/Reba/float) is going to do the trick, or do I need to drain the bucket and wait for a 120mm $1000 +( pike/fox36). I love the bike but don't want to spend the extra if it's not needed. Also not sure what models of what forks are the best for us lager Clyde's. Any and all feedback is welcome. And I know someone will say it. I DID use the search function. Thanks guys.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    I don't have much experience with forks for 295 lbs riders but in general the bike people I've talked to usually remind me that the expensive components are because they are lighter, usually not stronger. Often times the strongest components are the base model, cheap, heavy, etc.

Just something to think about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mabrodis View Post
    I don't have much experience with forks for 295 lbs riders but in general the bike people I've talked to usually remind me that the expensive components are because they are lighter, usually not stronger. Often times the strongest components are the base model, cheap, heavy, etc.

Just something to think about.
    Thanks for the reply. I do understand in reguards to lighter/more expensive. I guess what im looking for is the best clyde fork for the money. 32mm vs 34mm vs 35mm vs 36mm that is made in a 120mm. I know that I would be better served to sent it out to PUSH for my weight, but not 100% sure on what fork that would be. My current fork is a rock shox recon silver solo air. 120mm with 51mm offset and 15mm axle. Thanks

Certifiably Crazy
    I run a Manitou Tower Pro and love it. Granted, I'm a smidge under 200 lbs at the moment. They make a Clyde friendly XX-firm that people have had good luck with.

Manitou Tower Pro Fork for Clydesdales - Techical
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So I'm 6'5" and 30lbs heavier than you and have been riding regularly again for 3 years now. My first new bike, a GF Hifi, had a 120mm 32 Float on it and it, along with the whole bike, just wasn't cut out for my size. So, since then I've had:

Fox Float 36 160mm (custom tuned by Suspension Experts) 26"
    Fox Talas 34 140mm 29er
    Pike 150mm 29er
    Pike 160mm 26"
    And soon I'll be on another Pike 150mm 27.5.

The 34 Talas I had worked pretty well out of the box, but developed the Kashima creak eventually. The 36 Float was awful. The Pikes have been awesome. What I like about the Pike is that you can add tokens to your liking, making it as good if not better than the custom tuned 36 Float I had. Other people may tell you differently, but at your size having an overbuilt fork is never a bad thing. And by the way, I got one of my Pikes from Universal Cycles with the 15% off it came out to $865 out the door. And I think you can lower the Pike down a bit (not sure how low you can get it) by ordering a $38 part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Best Super Clyde 120mm fork....?

Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    So I'm 6'5" and 30lbs heavier than you and have been riding regularly again for 3 years now. My first new bike, a GF Hifi, had a 120mm 32 Float on it and it, along with the whole bike, just wasn't cut out for my size. So, since then I've had:

Fox Float 36 160mm (custom tuned by Suspension Experts) 26"
    Fox Talas 34 140mm 29er
    Pike 150mm 29er
    Pike 160mm 26"
    And soon I'll be on another Pike 150mm 27.5.

The 34 Talas I had worked pretty well out of the box, but developed the Kashima creak eventually. The 36 Float was awful. The Pikes have been awesome. What I like about the Pike is that you can add tokens to your liking, making it as good if not better than the custom tuned 36 Float I had. Other people may tell you differently, but at your size having an overbuilt fork is never a bad thing. And by the way, I got one of my Pikes from Universal Cycles with the 15% off it came out to $865 out the door. And I think you can lower the Pike down a bit (not sure how low you can get it) by ordering a $38 part.
    Thanks for the reply. That's some great info. I could not seem to find anything on a 120mm pike. Or if anyone has got one down that far. I think I may just have to wait till that becomes available. Looking like my best investment at this point.