gluttons
    Oct 2007

Best high volume tire for 6'6" 280 pound rider...

I am in the process of building up a new bike. I need help with tire selection. I have been running my PSI in tires very high for years since I find that the sidewall pinches when I use a lower volume and during cornering they are not at all stable. I am looking for a tire with a strong sidewall, so that I can possibly run lower air pressures. Mounted on a 2011 crossmax sx rim. Riding in the Rockies, all mountain, lots of steep ups and downs. Not concerned about the price, or how long they will last, I am more concerned about grip and stability when cornering at high speed. Bike is a XL enduro carbon. Thanks. Also, a concern is trying to build this thing up as light as possible within reason of course. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been looking at Schwalbe tires, they seem to be made with extra sidewall and puncture protection. Check out the Smart Sam Plus~

Smart Sam Plus | Schwalbe North America

Climbs = necessary evil
    I'm 6'2" and was 240 lbs (down to 225 now) but ride the Schwalbe Nobby Nics here in the front range and love them. I've heard great things about the Hans Dampf's too.

gluttons
    Oct 2007
    Thanks guys! I have been looking at the Big Betty. From the looks of it you can run the tire with some stans and not have to use the UST version. I tried one of these tires out last year on the front of my HD cause I was washing out with the Nevegals I was using...Here`s a clip of one of them...43 seconds in, bam, the ground, quick!

Fernie Mountain Bike Trails: Brokeback Ridge - YouTube

Suffice to say, I need some better tires...

gluttons
    Oct 2007
    Anyone other big dudes who could chime in.......

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with Hans Dampf front and rear. I'm 6'4" 275lbs.

25psi front, 30psi rear

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    6'5" 330 and on my 26" AM bike I have two setups, one for wet and one for dry. The wet setup is a 2.4 Conti Trailking on the rear with a 2.4 Spesh Purgatory up front. The dry weather setup is Schwable 2.4 Fat Alberts front/rear specific. I'm thinking of running a Big Betty though in the front this summer with the Fat Albert rear.

On my Niner WFO, I've been running a 2.35 Hans Dampf in the back with a Speshy 2.4 Purgatory up front. Been running these for about a year and I really like it. The Hans in the back is really good. Oh yeah, and tubeless all the way around.

mtbr member
    Geax Sturdy

mtbr member
    I like the Panracer Rampage on my twentyniner. I prefer my pugsly though! I'm 6'5" around 250.