mtbr member
    May 2011

Best heavy duty rim for tubeless or should I run tubes

I am building a new wheelset and was going to use MTX 33's 29's for my big butt but then I have been reading that they have problems running tubeless so for my type riding should I go tubeless?

I am over 300 and ride real fast on the road and will just run up and down steps bunnyhop stuff go off 2 ft drops. I have always had to run heavy duty tubes in order not to get a flat every ride and I run 1.25 to 1.9 inch tire's with real high air pressure. Like 35 to 60 pounds.

Any input would be great!
    Last edited by Realslowww; 06-08-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    If you're talking 26"...Mavic EX823 is UST and plenty strong

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am talking 29

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    I am talking 29
    Need to provide those details...there are three sizes these days

Might look at the Salsa Gordo...despite the "Lawyer" speak about not running them tubeless, they have the right shape and I've read lots of threads about their successful conversion using just tape and valve stems.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks ,how much I wonder do tubeless handle better and go faster compared to tubes because of less weight ?, is it a little or alot better and also because I like to hit curbs and jump would a heavy duty tube set up be better for reliabilty and not knocking the tire off the rim with high air pressure?

I had all kinds of flat problems until I put heavy duty tubes in but they wiegh a ton.

I would like to run tubless but do not want the problems I had with standard tubes getting flats ALL THE TIME!

One other thing on this tubeless gig, I have a friend who runs his race supermotard without tubes on a spoked rims. He claims you can use roofers tar by just heating it up and pour a little of it on each nipple from the back and he say's it works awesome and he only has 2 put air in it every couple months.

Thanks for all help and replies
    Last edited by Realslowww; 06-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Stan's Flows rims for 29er. I have them laced to CK hubs, 36 spoke rear, 32 front. I'm 330ish and ride a Niner WFO and I don't ever worry about them on gnarly terrain. I do have to continually keep tightening the spoke tension on the rear wheel but they've lasted me for a year now with no broken spokes and no bends. I run them tubeless too with a 2.4 up front and 2.2 in the back and they've never burped on me nor blown the bead and I ride pretty hard these days.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Mason, you realize you are quite a pioneer for us super-clydes, right? I have been wondering about the Flows for me... question answered.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How do Stans Flow compare to MTX 33's? for toughness.I just ask because my last pair of MTX's got a few dings in them but it may have been from running to low of tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Mason, you realize you are quite a pioneer for us super-clydes, right? I have been wondering about the Flows for me... question answered.
    Realslowww, I can't say how the Flows compare to the MTX 33's. The only 29er rims I've ridden have been the Bontrager Dusters that came on my old GF Hifi and then the Flows I have now.

Knight, yeah, I guess by default I have become a bit of a clyde pioneer from how much I've grown to love riding again over the past couple of years. Stopped 10 years ago because I was a student and couldn't afford all the bike repairs. I'm pushing the limits of all of my components and I hope I now have 2 rides that will last for a good while. As for the Flows, they've done great so far. Got a few hundred miles on them and like I said, haven't bent them really at all, haven't broken a spoke and never burp. I do small jumps and drops too. Only complaint is that after a long hard ride I have to always tighten up a few rear spokes (but that is from a bad build job I think). I mean I often have spokes almost completely loose and the rims get out of true, but something I can true myself afterwards. Good rims.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks,I looked at the Gordo Salsa and you gonna pay for them! I wonder how thwy compare to the MTX 33.

mtbr member
    From what I've read they are as good or better and lighter to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks